Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about cichlids....what are the differences between S.A. and African Cichlids....they cant live in the same tank? Im sorry guys, I am a TOTAL newb when it comes to Cichlids....does anyone have a list of cichlid species? Pictures?

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Many (Eastern-) African Cichlids (although not all) live in hard, calcium-rich water in the wild, and need tank water with a high pH.
Many S. American cichlids basically have the same water requirements as piranha's, because they share the same habitat.
That's about all I know about these buggers, though...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
you can keep cichlids in pH and water parameters that are not their natural condtions as long as it is stable and within range. Most cichlids are very hardy. Discus are probally one of the more challenging species to work with some will say.
if you are looking for more aggresive fish american cichlids on average teend to get bigger and more aggresive
thats not to say that there isn't aggresive africans or peaceful americans though

what are you looking for? I am your cichlid goddest here :smile:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
here is razorteeths link

C.American cichlids are more aggressive and larger (generally)

but if you have any cichlid in mind it would be easyer to help you as their are loads of species.

but ones that can generally be kept in communitys together include:
*Severums
*Firemouths
*Angelfish
*Rams
*Kribs
*parrot cichlids

snowcichlid said:
I am your cichlid goddest here :smile:
I think that PFury has a few members who really know their stuff with cichlids - but you are one of them

unxchange is also good

their are others also.
some are just mean and will not tolerate other fish in the same tank - so what you after?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Go to
www.cichlid-forum.com

They have a gallery, broken down by locality.

For cichlid conservation, there is only one place............www.fishpost.com

HTH

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Africans apparently need pretty stringent water conditions, compared CA/SA. Also, they have less personality. I personally don't think most of them are any less aggressive than CA/SA tho. Back 2 months when I first got mine, I had 3 africans (zebra mbuna, livingstoni, kenyi) and 4 south americans (green terror, jack dempsey, convict, texas in the same tank, and the africans certainly held their own.

Due to water conditions they cant be kept in the same tank. Africans need a ph of 8-8.5, while its generally considered "not good" to keep SA/CA in pH that high.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i beg to differ with you piranha 45 i have two african cichlids and the water is the same in all my tanks so as far as having to be a little dirty well i am sorry u are wrong if u read up on african cichlids they will adapt to any water conditions as long as it's liveable water conditions. not stepping on your toes man am stating the facts

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
RAZORTEETH said:
i beg to differ with you piranha 45 i have two african cichlids and the water is the same in all my tanks so as far as having to be a little dirty well i am sorry u are wrong if u read up on african cichlids they will adapt to any water conditions as long as it's liveable water conditions. not stepping on your toes man am stating the facts
k, I was just relaying what I was told on a different forum, from literally the WHOLE FORUM, as like 15 ppl posted and jumped on me about it when I first did it and was looking for suggestions.

mdemers, at least im not the only one then! yay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.