Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've noticed that 2 of my 3 baby rbp's like to have the occasional scuffle over food.
They dont seem to do any harm to each other, and theres always enough food for them - fed twice a day usually b/worm & krill, or Cockle & discus-type food (similar to b/heart -they love it!!!!)

So is it anything to worry about?
Im sure even in the fish world they have there disagreements!!!!

Cheers all

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
it's perfectly normal. my reds love to quarrel and as long as they are not doing any damage to eachother it's fine. they are probably still fighting for pecking order. if it persists and they start getting injured i would advise lowering the temperature a degree or two.

Joe

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
As long as they are not creating any danger to each others safety then there is no need for isolation or any other measures other than keeping a closer eye on them, :smile:

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
thre always going to fight for food...nothing you can do about that..just feed enough when you do it..

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Competition for food will always be present in a piranha tank. That is one reason that drives the School setting so very attractive for some hobbiest. Things should be okay as long as you dont come home to find serious tail damage. At that point I would start to worry. An occasional minor fin nip here and there will not be anything to worry about.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Also, if worse comes to worse.. the only thing I can think of happening is a bitten lip from another P when scuffling. Even that isn't alot to worry about.. Ps usually heal very quick

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Nothing to worry about, normal behavior, still, you can low your temp as recommended!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No need to lower the temperature. As you said yourself, they aren't actually doing any harm to each other and scuffles are quite natural. Nothing to worry about as long as there's no real damage (might get some minor fin damage, but that's inconsequential).

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
lastyboy said:
What about adding babys later on to these 3, can i do that or not, please?????
I'd wait till they are 4-5" long. Or till they slow thier growth rate.
prob not necessary to for them to be equal size.

I introduced 3, 3" red bellies in w/ 3, 7" reds and they are fine.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
all the pygos i have had would fight over the same piece of food leaving all the other food lying around this will happen at practically every feed its no problem as everybody else has stated
dixon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts