Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Wtf are you doing keeping a central/south american cichlid with african cichlids? They require completely different water parameters. Might not matter much now but some of those fish will die somewhere along the lines because the chemistry is not correct.

· reasonably awesome
7,332 Posts
Gumby said:
Wtf are you doing keeping a central/south american cichlid with african cichlids? They require completely different water parameters. Might not matter much now but some of those fish will die somewhere along the lines because the chemistry is not correct.
[snapback]848851[/snapback]​
CAST AWAY YOUR IGNORANCE AND EMBRACE THE COMING KNOWLEDGE, SIR!

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...topic=66123&hl=
http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...topic=66123&hl=

now be more reasonable and don't spout such bullshit regarding cichlids again. Thankyou

· Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gumby said:
[snapback]848851[/snapback]​
thanks for that but i think i no what im doing thoues africans are only gonna be in there for a while longer.
so just back down!
lol

· Registered
420 Posts

· Texas Justice
2,016 Posts
rchan11 said:
I used to have 6 FH with 30 Malawi cichlids and they all got along. No problemo!
[snapback]849866[/snapback]​
I can see the firemouth with the Africans..... but FH's, 6 FH'S with Africans is not too smart, quite dumb as a matter of fact

3,843 Posts
Africans and centrals can be kept together, just introduce them to the water conditions slowly.

3,843 Posts
Air Force, your fire mouth looks like one bad ass, it even has an evil look to it. Maybe its just the picture.

· Registered
7,229 Posts
armac said:
I can see the firemouth with the Africans..... but FH's, 6 FH'S with Africans is not too smart, quite dumb as a matter of fact

[snapback]849892[/snapback]​
They FH rarely bothered the Malawi at all. Not mixing CA,SA and African cichlids is overrated. They shared my 266g for 6 months until I gave them to LFS.

· Registered
613 Posts
Believe what you wish, the fact of the matter is that the African Rift Lakes are very different from the tropical rivers and lakes of south/central america. Not only are they different as far as water paramaters goes(Lake Malawi pH averages from 8.5-8.6), but the type of habitat in each place is quite different. If you were mixing African river fish(ie: kribensis), I'd say it's cool. There are some Central American cichlids that can tolerate higher pH but the hardness of their water is different.

See these:
http://malawicichlids.com/mw01011.htm
http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/hr/lake_malawi_cichlids.asp
Not a single African rift lake has an average pH below 8.0.

Perhaps the fish can live just fine in subpar water conditions, but to see them in their optimal coloration/health, proper parameters and habitat conditions should be met. Mbunas live in rocky habitats, SA/CA fish take refuge in butress roots of trees, fallen logs, plants, and some rocks (albeit different type of rocks and geological formations).
Both SA/CA and African Cichlids have lived in different water conditions for thousands of years and their gentics have evolved accordlingly. To throw them in a tank of sub par water conditions that are condtrary to their genetic evolution and expect them to live perfectly is just asinine.

If you're not interested in proper fish keeping, go for it, keep mbunas with firemouths.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.