Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its only for overnight! I pick up my 125 gallon tomorrow

I sold two 55 gallon tanks today. Buyers caught me off guard.
About 5 hours ago i put (5) 5" caribes into a tank with (4) 9" phat rbp's. (rhomzilla's old rbp's).
So far they're shoaling from side to side. No signs of aggresion yet.
Im gonna turn off the light soon to put them to sleep.
Also selling this one last tank with a caribe. See ad in buy/sell.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Dont you still have to cycle the new tank? Wouldnt that make thier time in the 55 at least a week, perhaps more?

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
If your really worried, you can leave the lights on all day/night. Although it causes them some stress but most likely they will stay together and shoal because they are new to the surrounding and adding light will not let me settle down and mark territory as fast. Use Bio-Spira, Overnite or couple hour cycling =).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not so much worried about the cycling. Im gonna use all the water from my 55 gal.
plus ill connect the fluval 404 from the 55 for the first couple of days or so. The tank im buying is up and running for a year now. I should have enough beneficial bacteria in that wet dry and overflow prefilter.
Im only gonna need to add about 50% or so 'new' water. Ill just dechlorinate that water.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Good luck, I would add some existing gravel too.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You're gonna need it...!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for wishing me luck, it worked. Not a singel casualty just a couple of very small body nicks. Well they were in there much longer than I anticipated. There was a problem in delivering my new tank.

So the group of 9 were together in the 55 galln for almost a week. Just acclimated them to the new big tank today!!!!!

Funny thing was that a 4" caribe ran the tank. He OWNED 75% of the already small tank. He had 8 other pygos cornered. Including rhomzilla's infamous 'chompers'. One of those rbp's is almost 10"!

found out this week that caribe's eat like mofo's. they eat twice as much as rbp's that are twice their size.

Learned alot of new behaviors this week. I saw 'the most dominant' fish role change several times.

anyways its all good

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I cant help but to think that it sucks for those fish. Sorry, just my opinion. Good luck with the tank though.

~Dj

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
NICE..I LOVE OVERSTOCKED TANKS.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
piranha 13 said:
Good Luck. There will most likely be casualties though in the future.
Not sure if i made it clear but the 9 pygos are no longer in the 55, theyre now in a 125.

9 pygos in a 125 is overstocking but i dont think theyre over crowded. Just my opinion.

And as for casualties, these are p's and casualties are part of p-keeping. This may or may not happen soon but its inevitable in this hobby.

Oh well, we will so how it goes.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Ohh they are in the 125 now? Whew... that is much much better. Im sure they should be able to do okay. I have heard stories of people putting more then that in a 125.

Good luck with them, and keep us posted.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
flexxxn said:
Thanks for wishing me luck, it worked. Not a singel casualty just a couple of very small body nicks. Well they were in there much longer than I anticipated. There was a problem in delivering my new tank.
Funny thing was that a 4" caribe ran the tank. He OWNED 75% of the already small tank. He had 8 other pygos cornered. Including rhomzilla's infamous 'chompers'. One of those rbp's is almost 10"!
Good to hear that Eric.

Dont stress man.. I have the same tank size, last of the 3 huge RBs 9-10", 5 Caribas 5"... getting 2 Pirayas and 2 Ternz (all around 5"). Might be overstocking to some, but with propper feeding routine, carefull watch, lowered temps and water changes.. I believe it can work.

If Hollywood can have 15 huge Pygos in a 135 peacfully, then I can also follow in his footsteps. (with a little help with consultings, of course)

But if all else fails, then I will have no choice but to invest in a larger tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts