Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lfs which i havent been in for awhile has a nice pleco for sale only 20. hes huge i didnt know if i shold buy him or not. i been reading and some people say they dont help and some say they do. did know if i should get this pleco or get some snails. just want something to help with the cleaning,

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
don't get him.
As plecos get biger they become lazy. they are really less effective aganst algae then other options.
you'd be better off with some Oto's

·
Registered
247 Posts
i got lucky and bought an 18 inch pleco for $20 (they didnt have a tank big enough for him) while he cleaned house, my 6 inch compressus cleaned his fins, caused major stress and.. sadly after about two months, killed the sucker. now my tank has about 18 giant snails, they clean but not as well as a pleco. i think, depending on what kind of if any pirnaha you have, a pleco is a better bet. my compressus seems to kill everything, even a snail every once in a while. a good place to find giant plecos are at feed stores. seems that ranchers use giant plecos in their cattle trofts to keep the algae down, and most people can't or don't want to house a huge sucker. just make sure it's an armoured pleco and not some sweet-pea!
good luck!

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
People just need to watch out for the commons-They are the shittin machines of the plec world-I have a huge 16 to 17 inch choclate pleco that I have never even seen sh*t-Let alone i never find his sh*t all over my tank either-Maybe I am just lucky-Or maybe it has to do with what they are being fed-I dont know

·
^word
4,324 Posts
I wouldn't get it, it seems like a fair price, but adding a common pleco to your tank is just about the worst thing you can do to it, its about as comparable as adding a large rock to the tank and dump half a can of flake food in every week.

·
Registered
524 Posts
good thing youre not buying it, instead go to petco and many times Ive seen larger common plecos free for adoption. Ive pick up mine for free, both around 7" to 8".

·
Registered
506 Posts
i have a 9inch common pleco that need to get rid of he shits eveywhere.
4x worst then my p's together. not worht the extra work and bioload.
hes gotta go

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
my lfs which i havent been in for awhile has a nice pleco for sale only 20. hes huge i didnt know if i shold buy him or not. i been reading and some people say they dont help and some say they do. did know if i should get this pleco or get some snails. just want something to help with the cleaning,
aside from popular beliefe with new fish owners, plecos are NOT algae eaters! they make more mess than the average fish and the common pleco will grow to at least 18 inches in its life meaning that you need a suitable tank for him eventually. they create lots of waste product and will add to most any tank community or otherwise but should never be purchased as a maintainence fish. plecos are wonderful fish, just make sure you buy one for the pleco, not for the algae

1 - 20 of 20 Posts