Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying new baby piri's, how many should i get for this tank?

When am i likely to need to upgrade to a bigger tank?

if i got say two, would i not now have room for extra fish?

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Mack said:
If you mean piranhas, that tank isn't big enough for anything.
[snapback]865482[/snapback]​
Yes indeed that size tank would be quite small for any P. But I have no freaking clue what he meant by "piri's"

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
i think "Piri's" means Piranha's.....

· Registered
18,153 Posts
corbypete said:
Not even for a sole Piranha?
[snapback]865571[/snapback]​
Temporarily, for a juvenile piranha, yes, it'll do.
But eventually you'll have to upgrade: the bare minimum for the smallest species for life is a tank that measures about 40x16x16" (approx. 40 gallons).

If you decide to get a single piranha and want to grow it out, don't get any of the shoaling species (Redbellies, Cariba or Piraya) - they really need a few buddies to feel comfortable.
Instead, get one of the Serrasalmus species (see the Information Section for species profiles) - they need to be kept alone.

· Registered
564 Posts
Judazzz said:
Instead, get one of the Serrasalmus species (see the Information Section for species profiles) - they need to be kept alone.
[snapback]866091[/snapback]​
Ok. Just a question about the Serrasalmus species; When you say they need to be kept alone. Are they always alone i aquariums? Well, maybe a dumb question, but how can they breed then?

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
DepH said:
Ok. Just a question about the Serrasalmus species; When you say they need to be kept alone. Are they always alone i aquariums? Well, maybe a dumb question, but how can they breed then?

[snapback]866306[/snapback]​
Yes always alone in home aquariums except for Geryi, Spilos, and Macs. These all need larger tanks to combat aggression though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.