Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The only time my RB piranha eats is when i put food in his face using a pair of tongs. The first couple days I had him he ate fine on his own. The only time eats now is when I put food directly in his face. I've fed him live guppies, red tetras and ghost shrimp this way. I seriously doubt that its due to a lack of appetite. He can eat 10 guppies in a single sitting when I use tongs and put it in his face. Is this normal???

This is a pic of my RB. He's about 3inches (the missing piece on his caudal fin has grown back completly)

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jamie

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Pics of you feeding him would be cool to see! So he wont chase the fish to eat them you have to hold them with the tongs? If you want him to eat on his own without the tongs I would just put a few fish in his tank and wait till he eats them, he will eventually kill them himself when he gets to hungry. Also try varying his diet with catfish, shrimp, and other types fish you can buy at a super market. Throw a piece of shrimp or whatever in there and if he does not eat it then take it out and try again a day or two later, ps can go a long time without eating but I guarantee he will eventually eat.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
How long have you given him the chance to eat his food? Some piranha's need time before they get interested, or will wait until the coast is clear (ie. no people around), even if they've eaten food immedeately before.

If you want to feed live fish (not really recommended, but that's a different topic), just release them and be patient: if your little dude gets hungry, he'll start hunting for sure. And with prepared foods, just drop it in just before you shut off the tank lights, and leave it in over night (take it out if left untouched the next morning, and do a small water change, 10-15%): when the hunger strikes, he'll find it...

·
Registered
273 Posts
the only reason he eats that way is because u did that for him dont do that or ull have a bitch of a time feeding him for the rest of his life...are u gunna wanna hand feed him with tongs everyday for 5 or 6 years?? lol i think not man..he will eat normally maybe it takes the light off maybe it takes u not being in front of the tank but your fish will eat normally i own a gold spilo and three rbps some are skiddish and wont eat right away it may take them a few days to get threw the feeders dont pop them in for 5 mintues stand in front of the tank with the tanklights on and wonder why they dont eat it...not saying your doing anything wrong but try and be more patient about their feeding..he will eat normally theirs no doubt in my mind :nod:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The first week I had him he ate fine on his own but the second week he would only eat if I gave hime food using tongs. Could it be because I introduced another piranha to the tank? The piranha I added kinda took over his tank. The new piranha would eat everything from fish to pellets but then my original RB stopped eating. He would only accept food if I put it directly in his face using tongs. Anyways if anyone thinks this may be the reason, please let me know. It has been 4 days since I removed the dominant piranha but he still wont eat on his own. Any suggestions??? Again I really appreciate all the help. Thanks

Regards,
Jamie

This site rawks!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
hey jamie wasup man,
what i would do is wait till like 5 or 6 at night then try feeding him some krill with the lights off and just go away from the tank and he should eat

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night I put a whole shrimp in the tank after starving him for the entire day. HE TORE IT UP!!! Im so happy now. Thanks everybody for all your help!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
GoJamieGo said:
Last night I put a whole shrimp in the tank after starving him for the entire day. HE TORE IT UP!!! Im so happy now. Thanks everybody for all your help!

[snapback]951590[/snapback]​
I love it when problems end like this!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
GoJamieGo said:

[snapback]951590[/snapback]​
Sweet

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I put another shrimp in there last night and he ate it within a few seconds. The shrimp that Im putting in there are practically bigger than my piranha but he he eats everything except the head. (even the shell) I've also noticed that he turns really dark colored now and it also looks like he's grown a little bit since the last pic I posted. He's also getting really aggressive towards the sailfin pleco thats in the tank with him. Im going to go take a picture of him and post it today. Once again, thanks for all the advice everybody!

Regards,
Jamie

*This site RAWKS!!!*

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
GoJamieGo said:
I put another shrimp in there last night and he ate it within 7 seconds. The shrimp that Im putting in there are practically bigger than my piranha but he he eats everything except the head. (even the shell) I've also noticed that he gets really dark colored now and it also looks like he's grown a little bit since the last pic I posted. He's also getting really aggressive towards the sailfin pleco and the 2 congo tetras that are in the tank with him. Im going to go take a picture of him and post it today. Once again, thanks for all the advice everybody!

Regards,
Jamie

*This site RAWKS!!!*

[snapback]952791[/snapback]​
Pic of Kaka since he start eating on his own. ( Belly full o shrimp ) It seems like the red colors on his body are fading out and turning into a yellow-ish color. Also, the chunk that was missing fron his caudal fin in the first picture has almost completely healed.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Shrimp shell will enhance the color of your RB. BTW-1 day without food is not starving him. Ps can go for weeks without food.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone else that replied and gave me advice.

This site totally RAWKS!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts