Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I finally got the ambition I have been wanting for a couple months to take my tank apart and put in some new driftwood I recently purchased.

This is what I started with:
*Note the downoi in front, and the fish I had taken out on top... used to have espei rasboras in there. Also some random stargrass that had some how gotten into my tank... still puzzled on that one, it just appeared one day.

Here it is after everything was taken out:
*I ended up doing 6 water changes and there was still dirt so it just stayed in after that and the plants can use up the nutrients in it

Here it is after placing the wood in:
*I got the wood from a guy who sells mainly dart frog stuff but sells the nice Malaysian driftwood for only $10 a piece no matter what size it is

Here it is right after I finished planting:
*Still a little cloudy, but everything is in and the tank is filled back up

Here is the final result:
*All of the water all cleared up, added in about 14 Galaxy Rasboras and got the roots trimmed that I didnt get planted, etc.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Absolutely beautiful tank man!.......I'm getting into planted tanks mainly because of your (and Dippy's) tank shots.

Great job!

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so mike what kind of gravel is that and what kind of light you're useing?
It is Soilmaster Select Charcoal which IMO is the best substrate I have ever used, it doesnt compact like Eco-Complete thus allowing the roots to grow more freely and have a lot better structure IMO, and I really like the color of it, which is a key thing in keeping the look I want.

The light is a Nove Extreme HO T-5 light with white Lunar Lights for at night as well... I actually picked it up from Ex0dus a while back... right now I am only running half of the light it is capable of until I get the CO2 hooked up... which I might do today since it is supposed to be sleeting all day here. It is an awesome fixture... one thing I really like which some people may not is that it runs pretty hot, so I dont even have to keep a heater in my tank and it always stays up around 80 during the day and drops down to about 76 or so at night which works out perfectly IMO. I have tried just about every type of lighting out there, or have seen it being used, and nothing compares to the colors you can get with T-5 lighting, not to mention I truly think they are brighter and definitely keep their color longer than PC bulbs.

As a side note, most of these plants were actually grown when I was using one of my Coralife 130w PC fixtures... great fixtures and you can pick them up pretty cheap now as well.

One other thing... I started this tank many months back with only around 50 Blyxa each only having maybe 10 leaves max... after replanting, I am guessing I kept somewhere around 400 plants that would all have at least 20 leaves or more. Anyone could have a tank like this... just gotta have a little patience and a bit of time to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
looks really good mike got any trimmings you wanna get rid of or some more of that tiwainin moss i got from you a while back

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Nice tank and a great looking P

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
you and dippy never cease to amaze me...just f*cking everytime!!!
BTW what is that grass-looking plant you have there??
nice P, nice setup, nice driftwoods..nice everything

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you and dippy never cease to amaze me...just f*cking everytime!!!
BTW what is that grass-looking plant you have there??
nice P, nice setup, nice driftwoods..nice everything
The grass plant that is in most of the tank is called Blyxa Japonica.

The tall green stuff in the back is called Cyperus Helferi.

The Cyperus Helferi is pretty hard to come by and those plants are huge compared to others that I see people selling.. most people arent willing to part with them once they get them from what I have seen.

I love my Geryi... always a great eater too, will come up and grab it as soon as I drop it in. Driftwood is awesome... I got it from http://www.joshsfrogs.com - very cheap and he has pictures of all the pieces and will ship it to you!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I love your tank, T5's are the way to go you've just made up my mind about something.....

What size and kind is that piranha you have in there does the lighting bother him how long do you leave your lights on?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love your tank, T5's are the way to go you've just made up my mind about something.....

What size and kind is that piranha you have in there does the lighting bother him how long do you leave your lights on?
Thank you! T-5 is definitely the best lighting for a tank IMO... just gets the full colors out of everything and my plants seem to love them as well.

It is a Serrasalmus Geryi in the 9-10" range. He is pretty used to them now usually stays in the front of the tank, at night I will catch him swimming around occassionally, though he usually ends up going to sleep in the middle of all the blyxa, must be comfy for him to lay in or soemthing.

The lights on that tank are on for 15.5hrs a day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts