Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seven 2" wild reds I got the other day are very aggressive compared to those I've had in the past. I've been feeding them beefheart, an occassional feeder, and blood worms as I always have with other small P's I've raised. They eat three times a day. It's like they can't get enough.

They tear into the food like they were much bigger fish. Almost all the P's I've had were raised from this size or smaller and I've never seen this much action in them before.

It has been like this since about 3 hours after they were in their new home. They aren't showing any signs of being skittish or hiding behind things. They are very active. Water quality is perfect and the temp is 81. Light also doesn't seem to be a factor as it has in the past.

Sometimes they shoal and other times they are three at one end of the tank and four at the other end. They are also picking on my Pleco which is 8" long.

I've raised allot of reds and these are by far the most aggresive I've ever had at such a young age. It's like they are going against anything I've ever seen with baby reds, like the light thing and non skittish. I do use a purple tinted light tube cover but I have always used these. They also chase my finger around through the glass.

It doesn't seem to matter how much you feed them either. They pounce on feeders like they haven't eaten in days, right after they had beefheart and their stomachs are visibly full.

Anyone else have these experience all at once with new fish of this size? I've never seen it!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
when I was very young - about 5 - I saw some piranhas in the shop which tryed to bite my finger through the glass, I assume they were red bellys, because I live in England and I have never seen anything else for sale, but I can't actially remember what kind they were so they could have been something else.
They were quite small - about 3".
But your new piranhas sound brilliant, I want some!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I've done different with this tank it that I have a large piece of driftwood that absolutley will not sink, so I let it float on top and it does cut down on some light in the tank but not much. I don't think that has anything to do with much though.

I'm so impressed with these P's that it's like a new found excitement with reds.

I hope the replacement order that Pedro is sending me is atleast half this aggressive. THIS IS COOL! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts