Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i heard about the 1 fish per 15 gallons, but alot of people do over stock there tanks a little. So could i put 10 1" piranhas in a 55 gallon tank and after about a year sell 4 of them.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
A 55 willl only be able to house 3 good sized P's (6+ inches). Even that IMO will be kinda cramped.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
FuZZy said:
Yeah i heard about the 1 fish per 15 gallons, but alot of people do over stock there tanks a little
You have this method correct, but only applies 80+ gallons. I would stay with the 1 fish per 20 gal rule and keep 3 in your 55 gal for now.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
No more than 3 Reds in there for life...you can try 4, sometimes it works...depends on fish temp...!

You can get more of them if you want but will need to upgrade your tank in a few months!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn 3-4, i was thinking i could keep 5-6 in ther for life but i guess not i will go with what you guys tell me. I guess i will only buy 5 and see how it works out they will be tiny guys so its should be ok for a while. How fast will they grow and what kind of diet do you guys suggjest. I would like to feed them feeders there hole life but alot of people tell me thats not good for them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have 6 Red Belly Piranha in my 55 gallon tank right now and everything is going as planned. No fighting or aggression towards one another. But I plan on upgrading my tank to a 90 gallon in the future. If you decide to keep 6 Red Belly Piranha in a 55 gallon tank I think that eventually you will come to notice/feel that the accomadations are not satisfactory to meet the fishes needs and your own viewing pleasure. I dont know what the exact result would be but I assume that it would be much more enjoyable to see your fish swimming in vast circles as appossed to a 4 second turn around route. Good luck and get wise in time.

Shred.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
o snap its eric said:
4-5 for life IMO
Eric you average 4-5 new fish per week. LoL

~Dj

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, 3 maybe 4 for life in a 55 gallon. You can always start with more and upgrade to a larger tank. RBPs grow up very quickly, I think it is about 4 inches in the first year, so you need to plan on upgrading within a few months. good luck with your new piranhas.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Reds grow super quick. If given the proper environment and food they can grow up to 6" in the first 8 months. Try to feed you reds shrimp, beefheart, fish fillet, etc. and give them feeders once in a while for a treat. I had 3 reds in a 55 gallon and then I tried to add a caribe to the mix. Needless to say I had to upgrade to a 75gallon within 3 weeks of the caribe being introduced because the territorial aggression between all of them was way to high. They looked cramped anyway. They were all about 6" in length.

Joe

·
Registered
891 Posts
ive had 5 reds in 55 since february. once they reached 4" i slowed their feeding and they slowed their growth. i will need to upgrade soon though. im not as bad as my LFS with 5 6" reds in a 20 long.

·
Registered
531 Posts
get more reds you can because it's hard to add other reds to a group, if you want to upgrade soon, take a big shoal of little reds ! in a 55 g, 5 reds for life can be great for me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts