Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plain on getting a 55 gallon soon and i am sort of a nub at this. Had a 10g with 1 rb for about 6 months, but had to get rid of it cause of move so i need alot of help with a bigger tank.

1. 55g tank with lid and light
2. fluval 304, do i need anthing else or just that
3. heater how many watts?
4. Ammonia nitrite nitrate ph kit
5.gravel, decorations, plants.

What else do you guys think i need.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would say you will be fine with the fluval, and maybe 150watt or 200watt heater will be plenty. Just don't overstock!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
You might want to get a powerhead as well, so your reds can have a little excersize if they want to.

Besides that, in my experience, two smaller heaters (75 or 100W), placed on either side of the tank, are more efficient than one big one (better distribution of heat...). I use two in my 80g tank (a 75 and a 200W, both placed in the outlet stream of a small internal filter).

An internal filter might be useful as well: place it just below the water surface, so it will keep it in motion, thus enhancing gas exchange at the surface (CO2 vs. oxygen). A neat side-effect is that it will also act as a mechanical filter, removing debris, crap etc. from the water.

One tube light is probably plenty, since piranha's don't really appreciate bright light (makes them stressed, skittish and shy). If you want to get live plants, I suggest you get some hardy ones that can survive under low light conditions, like java fern and anubias.

I think that would just about cover it all.
Good luck, and keep us updated... :smile:

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I have an EMP400 and AC500 on my 55g with a AC402 powerhead. Its a bit overkill but its better to overkill than underkill.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks for the input. Went to a few lfs today and foud a 55 gallon with lid and light for $100. Think I will back very soon to pick it up. And when im cycling the tank should i have the rocks and decorations in there befor or after i decorate it. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
When you get your tank, first place the gravel/sand, fill it with water, and get the tank hardware (filter, heater) running.
After a few days, add plants, rocks, wood, skulls, castles, or whatever you want to use as decor.
A few days later, add some expendable fish to speed up the cycling process, and about two or three weeks later, you're ready to go...

So, to answer your question: yes, put in all the decor during the cycling...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts