Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That will be fine. I don't see a problem. Personally I think 3 will be better in the long run if you plan on keepin the reds there for life.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
As M said 4 will be ok. But 3 would be better for that tank.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
i had 4 in a 55 us gal 2 5'' reds and 2 8 '' reds and they did fine so 3-4 depending on fish temprement
dixon

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Personally I'm not a big fan of 55's, they aren't very wide (13" outside measurement usually). That leaves just a little over 12" of turning space and with large fish that's not very much. But in answer to the question 3 is likely the most apropriate number, any more than that and you are overcrowding them which can induce stress and cause fights, which in turn could lead to one or more deaths.

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
Better to get a bigger tank...still, i can´t reccommend 4 Reds in a 55g....believe too cramped...still, it depends on fish temp. and the owner care!

Better stay by 3!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
I cant agree more.. when I had 4 in my old 55 gal, 3 had established territories which had the 4th one running around and hiding just to find a spot to post up in. They all shoaled and ate together when feeding time came, but it was too small and no balance in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts