Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've got a 96w PC, and I'm going to be getting another one also. The one I have currently has a 50/50 light in it. Would it make a difference if I have two lights that are both 50/50 or if each lamp is dedicated to each lighting?

I know it sounds dumb but I'm new to the lighting.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
you can do that without any problems at all. Im assuming that you are referring to a half daylight half actinic bulb.

They also make dual daylight and dual actinic bulbs if you want to try something different in the future for a larger spectrum.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I meant, J. I've got on 96 watt fixture with 50/50 bulb in it right now. I'm going to get another 96 or maybe even a 192watt fixture and I didn't know if I should throw 50/50 bulbs in all of them or would I be better off having each light dedicated to each type of light.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Depends on what you're using the bulbs for. If you've a planted tank, it's better to use daylight only. Actinic is mainly for color enhancement.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yeah. what are the plans for this lighting. without an idea of what your final plan incompasses its almost imposssible to suggest what would be best for you.

Personally I would try and get solid spectrum bulbs instead of 50/50.
If you want to still highlight colors then I would aim a little higher in teh spectrum. 8000-10,000 K.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
if you are going to be going with soft corals or even lps, either light bulb choice will do fine. If you decide that you want to change from the 50/50 in the future you could always switch to the dual spectrum lights then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts