Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Rectangle Organism Wood Aquatic plant

I ordered 5-1inch Ternetzis from George at Sharkaquarium today. They will be here Thursday morning!
Here is a pic of my temporary 30 gallon. There is one Raphael Catfish that you cannot see in the tank also.
Will post new pics in a few days with the new piranhas in their tank! I had a pleco in the tank also but he did a number on a few leaves-he is no longer in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I hope you have a much larger tank for those terns or are planning to get one...They will be to big for a 30gal in a few months time.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i love terns. I definatly wanna see some pics of those one inchers when you get them. I wanted to get some but i bought a geryi instead. Good luck and hopefully you dont lose any to canniblism since they are so small. I always seem to lose a couple reds when i get them that size.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey congrats on getting some terns. You'll like em for sure. At that age, they eat & eat...& eat...Come to think of it, they do that at pretty much any age lol. If you plan to keep all 5, be prepared to get a much much bigger tank. Either way, (as previously mentioned) you'll need to upgrade.

Good luck w/ em!

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
i love tern...it awsome fish. dont be suprise these fish grow fast..you gotta get 150g...or more for 5 full grown tern later on in the feature...i doesn't take long for them to grow 6" less then a year if taken good care...

keep in mind that piranha are unpredictable..you have 5 tern in 30g...it could fight, fin nip, etc...over territorial. and it also can stunt it grow. SO the faster you get bigger tank the better for them..

Congrate!...get some pic up when you get them

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i love tern...it awsome fish. dont be suprise these fish grow fast..you gotta get 150g...or more for 5 full grown tern later on in the feature...i doesn't take long for them to grow 6" less then a year if taken good care...

keep in mind that piranha are unpredictable..you have 5 tern in 30g...it could fight, fin nip, etc...over territorial. and it also can stunt it grow. SO the faster you get bigger tank the better for them..

Congrate!...get some pic up when you get them
thats true...when they are that size, they will pick out the weakest/smallest fast man, make sure they all get fed lots, feed them 2-3-4 times a day if they eat that much....in a couple months tho i strongly suggest getting a bigger tank

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I will just tell you right now that that was a horrible idea. You should have spent the money on a used tank. I will guaruntee you that there will be casualties. That 30 gal should be a hospital tank. Terns are mean, and very territorial. Good luck pal. I have a feeling that you just wasted a bunch of money on fish.

..in a couple months tho i strongly suggest getting a bigger tank
Months...try today....before the fish come!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will just tell you right now that that was a horrible idea. You should have spent the money on a used tank. I will guaruntee you that there will be casualties. That 30 gal should be a hospital tank. Terns are mean, and very territorial. Good luck pal. I have a feeling that you just wasted a bunch of money on fish.

I planned on possibly losing 1-2 fish. My goal is to end up with 3. I did not get a bigger tank because I am moving in the fall and I refuse to move a big tank around like a 125 soon. I will just have to take what I can get for now.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I can understand the whole "planning on losing 1 or 2" thinking....

....when you're dealing with baby RBP's, but not terns. Why didnt you plan a head and plan to lose NONE of them.

Also, the terns from SA are listed as $25 bucks a piece + shipping. IMO losing 50 bucks sucks. Maybe you should pick up another 30 gal or so and spread them out into two tanks so that when you do get that big tank you will have plenty of beautiful p's to stock it.

Anyway, good luck with them, they are awesome.

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts

I planned on possibly losing 1-2 fish. My goal is to end up with 3. I did not get a bigger tank because I am moving in the fall and I refuse to move a big tank around like a 125 soon. I will just have to take what I can get for now.
[/quote]

Im not trying to rain on your parade, but take it from me...somebody who actually housed 4 Terns along with some Caribe in a 30g for a few weeks...its not a good idea. Your Terns, you will find, are going to be very aggressive towards eachother and will grow very fast. They will not grow to the size of your tank. They will grow until one of them gets killed because there arent enough territories to support the 5, and then they are going to grow some more...not to mention there wont be a big enough bioload in your 30g to support the waste that 5 Terns are going to give off. If your plan is to make it to summer (6-8 months away), then, as I like to say..."NO A CHANCE"!! Ive had my Terns for now even 6 months now...I buoght them at 1" from Shark Aquarium just like you. Those same Terns are now pushing 7". What everybody is telling you is not being overzealous...they are being real.

You should cancel that order and have George ship you an Irritans or Sanchezi or a small Spilo or something. Ive got those same Terns and Caribe in a 90g right now, and I am already starting to feel that THAT isnt enough room...You are in for a bumpy road, my friend!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i think it wil be ok for like 1 month, lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Gonna try it anyways because they will be here in an hour or two. I originally planned on going with 3 instead of 5-that is what I probably should have done but you have to learn from your mistakes I guess.
[/quote]

yeah you do learn from your misteaks...dont worry man, we were all in your shoes before, made some misteak s at some point or another...what are you going to do if more then expected starts to happen? like more fighting, nipping, loss's etc...

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Fall is a really long time from now. One of my terns (Uruguay) was 3" when I got him. That was sept 12. He is pushing the 7" mark now, in 4 months. At that rate of growth, in a 30 gal, never going to work until next fall. That is 9 months away. I also got 2 of the Argentina terns from SA about a month ago. They too have grown an inch in a month. Everyone always says that cariba are so badass, but IMO........TERNS!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Fall is a really long time from now. One of my terns (Uruguay) was 3" when I got him. That was sept 12. He is pushing the 7" mark now, in 4 months. At that rate of growth, in a 30 gal, never going to work until next fall. That is 9 months away. I also got 2 of the Argentina terns from SA about a month ago. They too have grown an inch in a month. Everyone always says that cariba are so badass, but IMO........TERNS!!!

im interested in some terns....my caribe are badass tho

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Terns FTW!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.