Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 5 rhoms how big of a tank should id get rite now i got a 60 gal how long will it last me untill they out growit?

· Registered
3,300 Posts
its gonna b tough to get those bad boiz to cohabitate. people say u need thousands of gallons to put them together... what size are they?? u mayb be able to temporarily house them till u sell sum off but usually rule of thumb is 20 gals per fish but with serras u want more

· 5 TIME CHAMPS
15,414 Posts
don't worry about growth..worry about them living..serra species do not get along in the long run.most people TRY to mix but always come out with the same conclusion..death..so i would highly recommand you either sell some or separate them to different tanks.

· Registered
471 Posts
you probably shouldnt do that... i mean if it works out then good for you...but i dont think it will as much as we would all like it too. serras are solitary, and are too aggressive to be kept with other fish. SOME people do get it way with it though...and when i say some i mean a not many at all. good luck to you

G

·
You should get a tank roughly the same size as the Amazon. If you got one this big you could add a few more fish too. Including lots of different Pygo and Serra species.

Seriously though in a home aquarium this isn't going to work. Chunks will start to be removed from each, they will eat nothing but each other. And in the end, like The Highlander, there will be only one!

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
teflondon said:
i just got 5 rhoms how big of a tank should id get rite now i got a 60 gal how long will it last me untill they out growit?

[snapback]825870[/snapback]​
Depending on size, a rhom can live in a 60 gallon for quite some time because they grow really slow. As for how big of a tank do you need to put five rhoms in the same tank, 1500 gallons would be a good start, but you'll probably need bigger.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
As the people said before, rhoms can't be kept in groups at home - if even public aquariums and zoo's have immense trouble keeping them alive in a group, it says enough about the chances of maintaining a group in a home aquarium, regardless of size...
So I'd sell 4 of them, and focus on just one specimen.

*Moved to General Piranha Discussion*

· Registered
747 Posts
did you research the rhom before you got them, impulse buy, or get lied to by the LFS guy?

(im going with impulse) haha....you just bought some expensive feeders for 1 rhom the rest are dinner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.