Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
I bought this tank a few weeks ago and was planning on having it set up by now, but with the nice weather, I've been getting sidetracked a lot. Anyways, I'm working on the stand now and should be done after this weekend hopefully, then I can set the tank up and start working on a canopy. This tank will be home to my compressus when it's done, which will signal the end of my fish playing "musical tanks".

I'll post some pics of the progress on the stand tonight, but here's a pic of the tank to start this thread out...

Rectangle Wood Gas Table Gadget

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
cant wait to see the progress, i personally like the 40 breeder footprints but theyre not very popular for fish mostly just reptiles.

·
United Federation of Awesome
8,205 Posts
really like your build journals joe. look forward in seeing the progress.

·
Registered
856 Posts
yea man, after your last journal I'm really excited to see how this one turns out

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys... I know I've been slacking on the pics, I had a couple things come up and haven't made much progress, but I'll bring the camera with me today and get a couple shots of what I have so far. I like working outside on this, so hopefully the rain clears up and I can get the stand skinned with plywood today.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Where patiently waiting Joe

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I would say good start but you havent even got the card board or stickers off yet
looks like you just sat it in the floor

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't made much progress on the stand since I got rained out the last three days I had planned to work on it and it has been raining again all day. The frame is done, I just need to get it skinned in ply, I think I'm gonna try out a different look for this stand. It's supposed to stop raining tomorrow night, so hopefully it dries up so I can get it finished up this weekend. I did get a couple pics taken last night, I didn't take step-by-step pics because it is the exact same design so far as my 30 gallon stand, just different dimensions.

Rectangle Wood Grass Table Grassland
Plant Rectangle Table Wood Land lot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Good work Joe, I'm amazed everytime I look at your journals. I'm not sure what kind of look your looking for when you say different, but I know I'm planning on using a wainescot for sheathing when I build mine...

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made some progress on the stand since it didn't rain on Saturday, I just need to cut out the spot for the doors (I have to borrow a jigsaw, I can't find mine anywhere -- it's probably buried in our storage unit.) and then I can start painting while I make the doors and stain the trim. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow so hopefully I'm near the finish line here.

Plant Table Wood Rectangle Tree
Plant Rectangle Wood Wood stain Grass

Attachments

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had to put the project on hold until we rearranged our place and I'm glad I did... the new spot for the tank is right next to where my 30 long is sitting and it would have looked weird to have two completely different stands sitting right next to each other.

Ended up pulling the stand apart yesterday to make some adjustments, the stands will be a bit different, but I at least want them to be the same height. I pulled the top piece of plywood off to drop it down to 28", pulled the side pieces off to cut 1/2" off of their height and re-attached them, then I traced the opening on the inside of the front piece, pulled that off to cut 1/2" off the height and cut out the opening with a jig saw before I threw it back on. Today I should be able to make some more progress on the stand and get started on the canopy.

Here's a couple pics of how it looks now...

Wheel Tire Plant Wood Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Grass Wood

Attachments

G

·
Thats why I like DIY stands. You can change them over and over again to suit your needs!! Cant wait to see the new-old stand!!

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the top and trim put on today, started on the doors but I didn't make enough progress to take pics. I also got everything cut for the canopy, so I'll start putting it together and take pics of the progress tomorrow. I'm hoping to get everything finished early tomorrow so I can start to prep it for paint and stain. This isn't what I was planning on having it look like, but since it's gonna be sitting next to my 30 gallon, I figured they at least had to share some of the same features.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car
Wheel Tire Hood Plant Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Fish Whisperer
5,512 Posts
Lookin good as usual Joe

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got rained out the last two days, so I wasn't able to get anything done until today. I was working on the canopy and the doors today, canopy is almost done and I ended up not liking the way the doors turned out, so I'll have to start over. Here's some pics of the canopy, hopefully I'll have more to post tomorrow... I really want to finish this project.

Table Furniture Outdoor table Outdoor furniture Plant
Furniture Table Plant Wood Rectangle
Car Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Wheel
Vertebrate Plant Wood Grass Wood stain
Wood Outdoor furniture Wood stain Grass Grass family
Table Rectangle Wood Plant Outdoor furniture

Attachments

1 - 20 of 81 Posts