Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
okay I been hashing over all I learnt recently about the tank size requirements
and the fish in general and I just have 1 question. okay RBP's and pygo's in general like to be in groups and since I only have a 38 it wouldnt be feasible to keep more than 2 as they mature (I want to grow whatever fish I choose from baby to adult) and thats not much of a group at all. and I remember hearing that serra's are overall a "Lone" fish not to be kept with anything but plants and gravel (thanx P-FURY!!) so that would suit my 38? once again its 36x13x18 I dont know anything about serras other than what I read on here in the species profile and it dosent explain them in a tank setting other than "watch out theyre freakin crazy!!" lol) I've had fish since I was young but I am a beginner with P's what should I consider before I make any big decisions.thinking about it all day and I just feel that maybe a lone serra would suit me and my tank better than trying to raise up a bunch (5) of RBP's

P.S dont worry I'l keep the baby RBP's in a safe place when and if anything goes down

· Registered
498 Posts
IMO you're best off with a lone Serra,like a Rhom, in the long run...
Most are quite interactive with thier keepers the older they get and some are down right aggressive compared to others of the same type.
On another note, I don't recommend keeping only (2) pygo species in a tank as they'll tend to fight more often with each other. Perhaps start with the (5) babies Pygos if you choose so and maybe by time your forced to reduce stock, you'll be ready for another, "larger" tank.

Just my 2 cents....Good luck!

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx so much in advance. one of my pet peeves is people who ask questions instead of looking for the answers (which are on the same site they are)themselves. so I'm gonna spend some time looking over these spilo's, irritans
and sanchezi's (dont even know if theyre serra's right now!)
someone mentioned in another post that there was a canadian buy/sell on here and I checked it out, maybe a bigger tank is in the works!?! lol

· Skankzilla
16,305 Posts
all of those mentioned, spilos irritans and sanchezis are serras. From my personal experience, get the Irritan. Had a spilo wasn't impressed, Irritan was handfed, sanchezis sat in top corner of the tank for over a year. Pretty boring.

· Registered
220 Posts
I sent out wanted ad for serra's here on p-fury buy/sell/canada got a few reply's than I told my lady and she freaked!! lmao she said "50 BUCKS!! YOU NEVER HAD A FISH YET FOR 6 MONTHS AND NOW YOU WANNA BUY A SINGLE FISH FOR 50 BUCKS!!!" lol maybe I picked the wrong one and I aint talkin fish lol she's awful beautifull but she dont see piranha's as fish like ie tropical fish. to me piranha's arent attractive looking that was never a factor(please dont be insulted), I like the silver flake look a bit with the flaring red but really its the behaviour that attracted me to them. to watch these animals which have more personality than some people I know, conflict and resolve in theyre own little world with the resolve of a pitbull...it's one of a kind to put it in as little words as possible.like all the gore some people see in boxing yet true afficionado's call it the sweet science for the sheer art of it. anyways I got some things to take care of before theres room for a rhom in this house!! lol
just thought I would update the post

· Registered
486 Posts
i thought i could raise 4 rbp's in a 30 but they outgrew that tank from dime size in like 5 months... either get a lone serra or plan on upgrading in 6 months at most. thats my advice. youll see though that after a little while youll keep wanting a larger and larger tank either way...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.