Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait,i have finaly got my dream tank,a 300g 5x4x2,arived yesterday so i'm having fun sticking background's in and stuff.
I have had just about every piranha,but i am going back to good old red bellies,so my question is how many,i will be buying babies.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh...my...dear...god! you have to be one of the most lucky piranha owners ever!!!! That tank is massive and to think your going to fill it with fantastic piranhas... i envy you. First up what species of Pygocentrus are you going to be putting in that tank?

Secondly I cannot even begin to imagin how many red bellied piranhas you can fit in this aquarium (would have to do volume conversions) but im guessling... alot! keeping in mind that a tank of that size filled with a giant shoal of red bellies, there will constant fights for dominance, so expect about 5-7% of all your piranhas to be attacked and even killed (the small runts of the soal), so buy a few 'extra' to counter this problem.

Id love to see the progress on this tank so remember to take lots and lots of photographs and post them on this topic.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Oh man I want that soooo bad!!! what are you gonna put in it gravel or sand or what?

like Linford said get tons of pictures setting it up so we can see its progress.

·
КГБ
6,210 Posts
atleast 30 reds look at that footprint or go with some silver arowanas and rays with some dats ither or will be amazing

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's a great lloking tank.
Good luck with your new tank and new shoal of Reds.
Post some pics when you get it up and running.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Great foot print in that tank.
This is double the size of mine (about 5x2x2).
I would definitely put a shoal of caribes in there, perhaps 12-20 juveniles, the target being 10-12 big adults.

Harry

Moved to Tank and Equipment Forum

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
where do you get a tank that size from?

·
Registered
775 Posts
WOW, where did you get that and howe much was it if you dont mind me asking? I hope you have good supports in your floor!

·
Registered
451 Posts
when you can get use some pics when the tank is running
should of made the tank so you can swin in it that would be crazy if i could swim in my tank

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
40 babies to start and keep the keepers

BTW........hope you have 2 jobs for the food.......

nice pick up

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments,to answer a few questions.
Tank was from wharf aquatics near Nottingham.
Cost was £460 delivered with glass sliders,its 10mm glass with double base.
Weight im not sure of,but four people struggled to lift it.
I think i will go for 30 reds and see what happens,hopefully i will have 10-15 healthy adults in a few years,the tank will be pretty minimal just a 4ft piece of wood and a few plants.
I made the surround last night and i will be painting later today while the tank is filling slowly.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
is that tank going to be inwall?

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
ooooo man you could get a amazing mixed shoal put in there,,,,,,,,,,,,,around 20 or so imo

·
5,336 Posts
i might have to change my 300 plan from a 10 foot long before i make my final payment and construction starts.... i thought long tanks were SWEEET untill i saw that thing... now i may make it 8x3deepx2tall instead
its gunna be a fun one to clean too.... mask and snorkel so you can get arm deep? and keep us posted with more pics, i would love to see behind the scenes... with filtration info and such, stand...etc

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
how much sunlight do you get in that window.

dont limit yourself....maybe mix it up make it a pygo tank not a "RB" tank

what/how much filtration do you plan on having

looks good man G/L and keep us up to date

·
Registered
400 Posts
Excelent tank lay out and home made surround so far, very nice indeed. Dam im so excited about this topic, deffinatly take lots of photographs and keep us updated. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts