Piranhas Forum banner

300g on the way

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Grosse Gurke 
#1 ·
Yes, I cant wait, it will be in my apartment in 2 days. I'm wondering now, since I've already decided on a pygo shoal, how many can I fit in there. I'll have reds, piraya, ternz and caribes in there unless any f you see a problem with that. So once again how many pygos can I fit in a 300g.

And also, any suggestions for my 55g.

#2 ·
holy sh*t a 300g. that must be awesome. how much did it cost you? i think you can get 15 in ther for life. and maybe 20-25 small ones in for a shorter amount of time.

as for your 55g....i say get an elongatus, they are sweet. you can set it up right next to where people sit and it wont be affraid likr reds.

or a branditi but that might cost a little more.

i hope you have some cash man. good lkuck

#7 ·
I don't know how long it would take them to grow. But that's a big tank they will grow fast. Knifeman has grown his on a average of an inch a month. I think they were at 4or 5 when he got them. Now I Believe they are about 9 inches. I don't think he has had them for year.

#9 ·
Wow, I didn't realize they could grow that fast in a tank after they reach maturity. Can a 12" serra turn around OK in the 55, it's only 18" wide?

And nope, I'm on the second floor. I had to ask permission from management and I might have to buy some better insurance. I hope the guys under me don't find out what's above them.

#14 ·
Umm, I'd seriously look into consulting a structural engineer for something like that. Say for example your tank weighs 300lbs (at least). Water weighs 8.33lbs per gallon x 300 gallons = 2499 lbs. Add 100lbs of rocks, driftwood, decoration, etc and the whole thing weighs 2899lbs. Lets say the tank is 8' L x 2' W x 2.5' H. 2899lbs on 16 square feet is a LOT of pressure.

If you have the Barron's Piranha book, turn to pg 34 and read it. If not, here is a paragraph from it:

"The floors of many homes are not constructed to support such a massive concentrated weight. It is common for apartment houses to limit the size and weight of aquariums permitted on upper floors. It is best not to place any large aquarium in the middle of a room where it would be located far from supporting architectural structures. Ground level or basement rooms are generally of stronger construction than upper floors and subject to less vibration. If you plan to purchase an unusually large aquarium, and the foundation of your home is anything other than slab construction, it is prudent to first consult a structural engineer"

Seriously, I'd hate to think of what could happen in this case if the floor gives.

#16 ·
Try 4 Reds, 5 Caribas, 5 terns and 3 Pirayas for your 300g and 1 Rhom for your 55g!

#17 ·
wow cypher thats awesome dude 300gal hope it all works out for you, i live in a appartment 3rd floor i had got a special insurance that includes "spills" aswell i would seriously consider purchaseing the same one
i believe i pay 185.00 year
but i could sleep nights noing i have it. how many floors is your block? if you need some p's for that monster i plan on having a sh*t load swimmin arround just post mail me and we could figure something out good luck again. and get some pics when you can up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.