Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
I was planning on finishing up my 75 gallon project before I started on this one, but since that project has been put on hold til Thursday, I figured I'd get a jump start on this one. The reason I am moving everything around right now is because I wanted to get rid of all of my older tanks and replace them with new ones that are better suited for what I have/will have in the future.

This 30 gallon will actually be the future home of my maculatus, but as soon as the tank is finished, my compressus will be calling it home so that I can tear down the 46 bowfront he is in and sell it. Once that tank is sold and I have freed up some space, I'll start another project that will be for his future home (still haven't decided on what tank I want for him).

I started today by building the frame out of 2x4s, same basic plan as the 75 gallon stand except this one is all 2x4s and there are only uprights in the corners. This was much easier to complete, keeping things square is a piece of cake when you are working with shorter peices like these. Here are some pics of the progress so far...

Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Automotive exterior
Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Couch
Wood Comfort Outdoor furniture Rectangle Flooring
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Plank Hardwood
Wood Table Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Nice work, how long did it take ya

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
I started today by building the frame out of 2x4s, same basic plan as the 75 gallon stand except this one is all 2x4s and there are only uprights in the corners. This was much easier to complete, keeping things square is a piece of cake when you are working with shorter peices like these. Here are some pics of the progress so far...
Keeping things square is important for anyone who might be checking into doing this for themselves.

Get a good square.

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, a good carpenter's square and a small carpenter's level are great to have within arm's reach when doing a project like this... it's easier to check things as you go along and make adjustments if you need to instead of having to go back and tear things apart when you find out it's not square or level.

·
Down With Tyranny....Overthrow ksls!!!
3,069 Posts
Good work Joe

Damn I wish I would've took woodshop in high school. Don't think I could build that. Maybe one day I'll try but for now I'll spend extra $$$ on a stand.

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good work Joe

Damn I wish I would've took woodshop in high school. Don't think I could build that. Maybe one day I'll try but for now I'll spend extra $$$ on a stand.
i didn't take woodshop in high school either...

a smaller stand like this basically puts itself together, just make sure you pick out straight lumber and that your cuts are square and accurate. after your cuts are made, it's just a matter of putting the pieces together, if you made the cuts right, they should keep everything square on their own.

·
Guinness eyes
6,981 Posts
Damn you've been busy Joe!

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha... with a baby in the house, i gotta get as much done as i can when i have a window of opportunity like this, i'm sure you can relate...

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
I've been working most of the day and I've gotten a lot done. I started working on taking apart my old canopy a while ago and I'm takin a little break now, so I figured I'd post some pics of my progress...

Started out by cutting a piece of 1/2" ply to size for the bottom shelf, notched out the corners, and threw it on...
Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

I messed with this top piece for quite a while... I cut it pretty big at first and then tested it out on the stand with the tank on top, I kept trimming a little bit off at a time with the table saw until I got it to a size that I thought looked good, it extends for 1 3/8" past the edges of the tank.
Table Furniture Wood Creative arts Hardwood

This pic is just to show that the top is actually a piece from my old canopy... I'm going to use all of the lumber from my old canopy to finish this stand and to build the light box for my 75 gallon project, so that's gonna save me a bunch of money.
Wood Table Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
how much did it cost u for the lumber?

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much did it cost u for the lumber?
i have about $14 invested so far in lumber and screws... i still need to buy a couple things to finish it, but they shouldn't come to more than $20, so the total should be around $40 when all is said and done.

·
Down With Tyranny....Overthrow ksls!!!
3,069 Posts
Good deal. Keep posting pics

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could that kind of stand hold a 55 gallon on it? It would need to be longer of course, but would that same design be good?

And how much would the lumber & Screws cost?
This same basic plan could hold any tank under 75 gallons, obviously you'd have to make it a bit longer and if you wanted to increase it's strength you could use 2x6s for the top frame. For larger tanks, you could follow the plan in my 75 gallon tank journal.

It really depends on the cost of lumber in your area and what you have on hand. I had everything but the 2x4s and deck screws here, but I'll give a list of materials and costs as if I had to buy everything I needed for the frame.

5 2x4s @ $2.33/per = $11.65
1 pound 2 1/2" torsion head deck screws = $3.00
1 bottle of Gorilla Glue = $4.29
1/2" CDX Ply Handy Panel (2'x4') = $3.49 **Optional**
1/2" Sanded Pine 2'x4' = $8.49 **Optional**

You could leave the frame as is and throw a tank on there or skin the frame to make it look like a piece of furniture, which could cost you anywhere from $10-$100+ depending on how nice you want it to look. For a 55 gallon stand, you would probably need either 1 more 2x4 or you could use 4 2x4s + 2 2x6s, which would bring your cost up to around $15 if lumber costs the same in your area.

·
United Federation of Awesome
8,205 Posts
nice work joe. quite the craftsman you are

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm, you seem like you know what your doing.

Think you could design me some type of stand that woul hold two 55 gallon tanks. Like one on top and one on the bottom.

That would be great ;]

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have seen a lot of plans like that on the internet, I'm sure you'd find plenty that would suit your needs with a quick google search.

I didn't really make any progress on the stand today worth showing pictures of, I did some sanding and tested out a few colors of stain that I'm thinking about for the top piece... I'll grab the rest of the stuff I need to finish up tomorrow or Friday.

·
It's Cold Outside...
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got back to work on this project today...

Started out by skinning the front of the stand in 1/4" sanded ply so that I could hang the doors...
Table Furniture Desk Computer desk Wood

Just as I was about to hang the doors, I decided to completely change up the plan for this stand once again... I put a piece of 1/4" sanded ply on the bottom shelf and cut the doors so that they would fit in to create a box inside the frame. I decided to go with an open front, I will probably add a shelf or something down the road, but I'm gonna see how this turns out. If I don't like it, I can always just add doors to it later.
Table Furniture Wood Desk Rectangle

I have to run to the lumber yard really quick to grab some more 1/4" ply and outside corner trim, hopefully I can get this finished up tonight so that I can paint it and stain the top tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts