Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get some piranha's, and this will be my first time... I only have a 30 gallon tank and I would prefer some red bellies because after checking the prices, they seem the most affordable. I want to use the tank i have, should i just get some little pirahnas, or less piranhas but bigger ones. How big can i go? how many can i get? I realize this is a relatively small tank... any suggestions??

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
A 30g doesn't have much use other than a single species tank. I wouldn't try shoaling anything in there.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
what are the dimensions.. i just got an oceanic 30 square which is perfect for a single specimen. A 30 square would be a great show tank for a medium brandtii, spilo or rohm. A medium rohm would be good in there for along time... of course if you want to see carnage i would put 15 exodons in there.,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks alot for your input everybody... BDKing, the dimensions are 30X12X18, and what are exodons?? but the idea of just having one fish is becoming appealing.. what are the more interesting species that can live alone, and how big can it be?

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Exodon.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
If you want a piranha shoal, sorry you need a bigger tank (at least 60g i would say)...

If you want a single get Spilo for life in your 30g or a Rhombeus, upgrading when he gets 7" (they take a lot of time to get that size)!

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree, a shoal cannot fit in that tank. I had my 5 reds in a 55g and that only lasted a few months. They are now in a 75g. I do have a gold spilo in a 20g tall, and he's been in there for about 1.5 months. From the look of it, he could stay in there for a long time. I think that those oceanic 30's are pretty sweet. That sure would make a good show for a single rhom or gold spilo. My rhom is 6 inches and he is in a 55g. He hardly moves and I probably could put him into a smaller tank. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.