Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my 30 gal which my 8" Rhom was housed in. Have a temporary 20 gal which he's kept in until he gets sold. The tanks been set up for a week now and decided to add gravel. Had nowhere to put him until the cycle process was done, so I housed him in the 125 with my RBs.

I fed the Rhom and the Rbs prior to putting them together just in case, and didnt arrange any of the decors in the 125 gal. For the first 30 min, I kept a close watch on all of them. No fighting what-so-ever. Went upstairs to clean out gravel for another 30 min. When I came back, the Rhom was running the house!!! The smallest 9" RB was tyring to hold down his territory, doing the battle dance, but only to get nipped and chased continiously. The 2nd biggest kept away, while the largest of my RBs tried to shoal with it, only to get ambushed repeatedly. He basically had the whole left side of the 125 all to himself, while the other 3 were cornered to the right. The 3 RBs which were confined to share the right hand side fought amongst each other, where they would chase one another towards the side of the Rhom. When this happened, the Rhom would slowly cruise towards the RB, swim side by side with it (like saying "its ok to hang out with me"), and then try to corner and beat up on it. This kept going on and on, only to stop when I approch the tank. Even then the Rhom would completly ignore me and still attack the RBs.

Finally, I decided to take the Rhom out of the 125. As I was carrying him towards the 20 gal, he somehow broke through the net and flopped around all over the carpet until I had the chance to grab another net to scoupe him up. Hes back in the 20 gal, isolated but even meaner than before. I guess having him in with other Ps, dominating the 125, falling through the net and landing on the carpet, and then secluded in a 20 gal got him even more pissed off.

Checked on the RBs.. The smallest has a cut and skin peeled off near his right gill, fins nipped. The 2nd biggest has a minor cut on the face. The largest of the 3 has an extra nostril, courtesy of the Rhom. Even though I know every aspect of what a Rhom can do, I can honestly say I have had first hand experience on what they can do to others. And why they're called and considered a.. "solitary fish". And before you ask, I do have pix.. but will not show until after MAY's POTM.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
RhomZilla said:
And before you ask, I do have pix.. but will not show until after MAY's POTM.
Must be some good pics. Interesting story.

~Dj

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
good try ..you can always say you tried and know first hand the outcome

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I tried something like that. I wanted my SpiloCf to school with my old reds I had before. NO LUCK. Very similar experience as you just described. I dont know what it is, but from what Ive seen, pygos just get bullied to hell my serras.

Serras Rule

~Dj

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you very much for that info. I'm glad I heard it before I screwed up... I have a chance to get a rhom from a friend here in Oregon and was going to do that when I buy my 120 gal and toss in my rb's... oops, guess I wont do that now.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me, they will be good pix. Probably be noted in the Forum sections to compare shapes and features between the 2 specie. I have a bunch of head, body shots to isolate the difference between the 2. Should be great!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts