Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi P fans

I did a water change on Fri eve (30%) and the waters already starting to look cloudy, I havent been o/feeding my 3 P's, I just think the tank's too small for them now and as their messy eaters it getting a bit too much for the filter.

I thought about doing another water change, say 25%, tonight- will it cause any harm to do an additional w/c so soon after the last one???

Thanks people

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd say better to check on the water condition on the tank 1st. If the cloudy is caused by leftover foods then this could raise ammonia content in the water very rapidly. If the ammonia content is very high then 25% would be good provided all other water attributes(??) (TEMP, GH, PH) in the new water are safe for your Ps. (my english sucks!) If you to find your ammonia is still in a safe state, then you want to change water more gradually, let say 10% let it sit, add again several hours later, until the water's clear. Again do check all other water attributes(??) , not just ammonia.

IMO gallon/fish is more to do with territorial concern rather than water quality. My P tank is not perfect in size teritorial wise but the water condition has been stable and excellent. Never been cloudy so far. Use the general rule that you should not feed your fish foods, which they cannot finish them in 5 minutes.

(my english still suck) Anyway, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also in case of an emergency, e.g your fish sank to the gravel or any sign of lifelessness up the temp 4 deg fahrenheit and add salt 1 tbsp/4 gal. Better yet do this in hospital tank because usually not all fishes have the same in sensitivity to sudden change in water condition. good luck!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking that adding flakefood the other day didnt help. I find it always makes my tank cloudy.
Maybe Im adding too much?
Anyway, I've stopped using it now, but I may do a 25% water change.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
A water change wont hurt anything. If you tank was fully cycled, 3 little piranhas should not overload your bio filtration. To me it sounds like your tank was not fully cycled. This if just a guess though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have since done tests for Amm/Nitrites/nitrates.

My findings are:
Ammonia - barely none ( i thought this was good)
Nitrite - high
Nitrate - dangerously high!.

I did a part water change, but please explain why this has occured, please?

I had tropical fish in that tank and water for a year and a half without any probs.

Thanks all.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Your tank is not completely cycled or you do not have the bacteria to handle the current bio load. What filtration do you have and what size tank.
Your nitrites should be 0

I would do a 50% water change to get the Nitrates down. Dont do a gravel vac, but look for uneaten food.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I agree on the water change to bring down the nitrate level, but I'm just wondering: isn't doing water changes going to cause the cycling to take longer? I know it will dilute the amount of nitrogen, but there will also be a large amount of 'uncycled water' added to the tank...
Maybe I'm wrong, though....

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Judazzz said:
I agree on the water change to bring down the nitrate level, but I'm just wondering: isn't doing water changes going to cause the cycling to take longer? I know it will dilute the amount of nitrogen, but there will also be a large amount of 'uncycled water' added to the tank...
Maybe I'm wrong, though....
There is no such thing as cycled water. What it will do is dilute the amount of NitrItes that are needed to complete the cycle. This should be fine because I dont think lastyboy has the bio-filtration to handle piranhas and that is why he has high nitrItes and high nitrAtes. At least it sounds like he does not, that is why I was wondering about his filtration.

If he has high nitrAtes, it sounds like his tank is cycled and the high NitrItes are caused by an overload of waste that his current bio filtration cant handle.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
From Lastyboy in a different thread:
The main filter is a year and a half old- 2nd one is 2 weeks old.
I cleaned the older one 2 weeks ago.
I would say this is your problem. The old filter contained 90% of your bacteria and by cleaning it you killed off most of your bacteria. That is why you are getting a nitrite spike, because there is not enough bacteria to convert it to Nitrates.
You need to let the new filter seed with bacteria before you alternate cleaning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts