Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon tank that isn't shallow. I have just purchased a red belly piranah that is 3 inches in length. I have had it for 2 weeks and it never really moves and will only eat if the feeder fish moves right infront of its mouth. My temperature of the tank it set at 78- 80 and it has alot of oxygen because of the numerous bubblers i have set up. I have a bio wheel filter. I also have put in three logs and are growing 4 amazon sword plants. Any tips on what I can do to increase the piranahs movement such as dimming the light, darkening the water etc.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
First off you should probably stop feeding it feeders. In general, they are not nutritionally beneficial. The way I get any fish to eat when I first get it, and acclimate it to eating what I want it to is put it in a bare tank. I then put in a little bit of the food and take it out after 15 minutes if they don't eat it. Eventually they will get the idea and start taking the food, then I decorate the tank after I'm sure that they know what to eat.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I have just purchased a red belly piranah that is 3 inches in length. I have had it for 2 weeks and it never really moves and will only eat if the feeder fish moves right infront of its mouth.

Any tips on what I can do to increase the piranahs movement
Best tip... get a bigger tank and give him some friends. Your RB being in the Pygocentrus family are known to shaol (or be grouped) with other Ps in the same tank. Not much difference when adding more group (since they usually just stay at one spot until feeding time comes along) but it does help with the activeness in your Ps characteristic.

Also you might want to start saving up to upgrade to a bigger tank. Your 3"er will soon outgrow that 20 gal within a month or 2.

Moved to Piranha Discussion

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
that 20 gallon will become very small for that piranha in a short time. I would recommend saving your money and getting a tank size of at least 55 gals within 3 months. If you cannot do this, you should probably sell your piranha and get into other fish. It would also be best to add 2 more piranhas that are close in size to the one you have.

The issue of the fish not eating and sitting still all the time has to do with it as well. I would stop feeding feeders, because they really arent good as a staple food. Shrimp and white fish fillet are good foods to train your piranha to eat while it is still solitary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts