Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have one 10" Rbp and one 8" Caribe. Both are great lookin' fish and from what the previous owner told me, aggressive in their own way. I trust his word on it.

Now they got along well for the couple weeks.. maybe because they were stressed and still gettin used to their surroundings. Because of the size of the tank (75g), I didn't think they'd have fights.. but the Caribe is now very aggressive towards the Rbp. They haven't eaten since I've got them.. notice the feeders to the right (you can barely see them.. there are 10) in the first pic. Well those have been there for 10 days and I'm only missing two.

The second and third pic shows the Rbp. Its a little difficult to see the rip on its face just above his eye.

So what do you guys suggest? Should I add a third? I didn't intend on buying another one.. I wanted these two to grow big in this one! Wishful thinking?

Thanks,
Ash

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
I'd definatly say add one and re arrange the tank

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A divider did cross my mind and if all else fails, I will put one up.

However, I would like to try other options before I resort to it for the simple reason that a divider tends to "spoil" the free-flow and natural look of the tank and also gives the fish a lot more room to swim and grow.

Thanks for the advice! More please..

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
There's no guarantee that adding a 3rd fish will prevent them from fighting.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
the fish look smaller to me in those pics

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Adding another p would disperse the attacks between two ps instead of just one, which is good. This will help but as another member has said it is very expensive to buy another of the same size. So you must decide what you would like to do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pinchy, they may look small.. but the Rbp is atleast 10" and the Caribe is a little over 8. I know because I measured them when I bought it from the previous owner.

Rchan, you are right.. fishes that size aren't. But if the majority says it'll help and save the rbp, hell I'll go buy one without a second thought.

nomaddan, the water is good. I need to do a water change still (its only been a week since the last one). The temp is sitting at 78 right now. I cooled it down a little bit to mello them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i would. most people on here would say that adding a third one will change the dynamic of the tank i would also agree wiht this. i think that it really depends on the fish.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
If you can add 2 more.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have 3 7" cariba in a 75 and all they do is fight, its piranha nature..

they will probly fight less if you get another they may be going after the whole tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow.. they are so unpredictable.. Thanks for the inputs guys.. much appreciated.

I noticed something unsual.. The caribe hadn't touched the feeders but was nipping the sh*t out of the red belly. I have already separated the red belly and put in a bucket for the time being. Atleast this may get the caribe go feed on the fishes he should be eating!

I don't like feeding my P's live food but as of now they need to get started on some diet and not each other!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh and yeah, I will probably buy a couple more but does it matter if i have all that decor at the bottom? I know that piranhas like to swim at the bottom so should I remove all that so they have more space to swim?

Should i limit the tank to 3,4 or 5?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Decor does tend to create territories that p's love to defend, but a 75 gallon can be simply decored with 1 or 2 pieces of driftwood and a couple plants

1 - 20 of 22 Posts