Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was giving these fish and had no other place to put them but together in a 55 gal tank. The two reds are hiding in one side and the 2 caribe are hiding in the other. Is this normal/ok? if not what should i do or what are some signs that this wont workout. On my other post everyone said its ok to mix these two types of fish. PLEASEEE ANY ADVICE?????
THANKS

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
let them get used to their new tank....its a really small tank for ur fish, you should upgrade them or sell off 1-2 of ur fish whenver you can. an ideal tank for your shoal should be a 75gallon(minimum) to a good 125Gallon .

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let them get used to their new tank....its a really small tank for ur fish, you should upgrade them or sell off 1-2 of ur fish whenver you can. an ideal tank for your shoal should be a 75gallon(minimum) to a good 125Gallon .
they are all still pretty small. 5" each maybe 4 do i have time to do this. I called a pet place (aquarium something by my house) and they said its fine and i can even get 5 of them but they wont grow as big. Is this true are like most places does he not know what he is talking about. sorry about all the questions
im pretty new at this thing

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
they are all still pretty small. 5" each maybe 4 do i have time to do this. I called a pet place (aquarium something by my house) and they said its fine and i can even get 5 of them but they wont grow as big. Is this true are like most places does he not know what he is talking about. sorry about all the questions
im pretty new at this thing
[/quote]

Its what you guessed, he doesnt know what he is talking about. what you have right now is alot for the tank you have. Any more will cause alot of territorial issues, even with 4 in there there isnt much territory to claim so you might see some "fighting" soon enough. But good luck. If i was in ur spot, id get rid of one of the reds for now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lack of experience will lead to the demise of atleast 1 of your P's.. but if you know what you are doing, you can keep them in that tank for a while.. good luck
lol thanks this is why im at these forums...im going to try my best to keep them well fed, always have a feeder swimming around. if i see nipping ill put one in my 10 gal. i think im going to make myself a 125 gal tank for these guys

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
you definatly need to let them get used to the new environment they're in...dont feed your p's feeders for every meal just because they could have diseas's and parasites and what not...once in a while you could if you quarentee'd them for a couple weeks to make sure they're safe. feed them white meat, shrimp, talpia and what not for best colors and growth...keep up on those water changes too

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you definatly need to let them get used to the new environment they're in...dont feed your p's feeders for every meal just because they could have diseas's and parasites and what not...once in a while you could if you quarentee'd them for a couple weeks to make sure they're safe. feed them white meat, shrimp, talpia and what not for best colors and growth...keep up on those water changes too
i have 10 feeders in my 10 gal tank right now. they are all a week old and the temp is at 80 to increase parasite growth if they do have it. however I do feed them shrimp. again the guy who now im sure knows NOTHING at the pet store told me to make sure there is always a live feeder in there. they all look fine this morning. they are exploring no nipped fins. i will give them the shrimp but i only know how much to feed one 5" P. how often and how much do i need to feed 4 of them?

ps this is the most helpful site ever thanks you guys saved my life

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
4 5" are very crowed in 55g...it may look ok but red being with caribe the most teritorial piranha it will not last long...Piranha is unpredictable it a matter of time thing will go wrong...to provide from killing and fight

keep your temp low 76f or 78f.... lots of hiding space, well fed for the mean time you can either get rid of 1 fish or get atleast 125g+.....

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
let them get use to their new home....If you see them fighting...lower the temperature and feed more then usual.....They would really love that 125 gallon tank...try to make it as long as posible :nod:

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
As above, you can feed them any while fish fillets, raw shrimp, squid, etc.. I would feed them everyday since you are a bit over crowded in that 55g tank. Also, make sure you temp is no higher than 78. That will help keep the aggression down. With proper feeding, temp, water quality, etc. you can make the 55g tank work for a little while; however, you will need to upgrade that tank if you are truely looking for long term success.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As above, you can feed them any while fish fillets, raw shrimp, squid, etc.. I would feed them everyday since you are a bit over crowded in that 55g tank. Also, make sure you temp is no higher than 78. That will help keep the aggression down. With proper feeding, temp, water quality, etc. you can make the 55g tank work for a little while; however, you will need to upgrade that tank if you are truely looking for long term success.
If I move one red to a 20 gal, and keep 3 in the 55 would it work?
(temp is 75 and they all just ate all the shrimp, the store only used feeders but they seem to be ok with the shrimp)

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
^^..3 in 55g are good but best for 75g..yea! you can keep 1 in 20g...until you get a bigger tank. shrimp are good for them but you want to change food every week let your p get use to it...

i use to feed my p different food every week..let say i feed them shrimp this week, i'll feed them silver sid next, then I'll feed them scallop the following week, etc....

feeder=stay away....but once a while is ok for them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I havent read any of the replies but by your thread topic, a 55 gallon is too small for 4 pygos. They will eventually need more room. I have 4 in a 30 gallon and they are really cramped, just waiting for the 75 to cycle and put them in.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I havent read any of the replies but by your thread topic, a 55 gallon is too small for 4 pygos. They will eventually need more room. I have 4 in a 30 gallon and they are really cramped, just waiting for the 75 to cycle and put them in.
I just got the 55 with a stand and it cost quite a bit. the stupid guy assured me that its big enough for at least 5 of them (but said they wont grow as big). I was fine with them not growing big. So im going to keep them there for now...if there is any fin nipping im going to move one into my 20 gallon. mean while im going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 75 gal-125 gal tank

do any of you know anywhere I should look, or any one of you looking to get rid of one? if not i think im going to take time and find how to build one myself.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...does the dimentions of the tank matter too much or does the amount of water matter the most?...someone pmed me and said they have glass that i can silcon on to my tank now to make it 110 gallons (two 55 gall stacked ontop of each other). would that work?

·
Registered
105 Posts
lack of experience will lead to the demise of atleast 1 of your P's.. but if you know what you are doing, you can keep them in that tank for a while.. good luck
lol thanks this is why im at these forums...im going to try my best to keep them well fed, always have a feeder swimming around. if i see nipping ill put one in my 10 gal. i think im going to make myself a 125 gal tank for these guys
[/quote]

the 10 gal will be of great help when problems arise. 125 is very nice! and you can even add more to your shoal. sounds like you already know what to do
.. just give it time, you will be just fine..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.