Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 19 little baby red bellies and they are in a 5.5 gallon tank. They are less than an inch in size. I have an air pump going, no filter, and have special baby fish food. I have never raised such small fish so please help me with any suggestions. thanks

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
19!?! Wow, you are definitely going to have to upgrade, like right now! Even at their small size, 19 in a 5.5 gallon is way too small.

Have you thought about thinning them down? Unless you have a public sized aquarium, you are not going to be able to keep all of them. When they mature, they require 20 gallons per Pygo, so keep that in mind. Plus, they are really cannabalistic when they are little.

Perhaps you should take at least half or more of them to the fish store right now while they are little.
~Taylor~

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
first of all you need a larger tank, as that is a lot of babies in such a small tank................

the baby fish food is good, like tropical fish flake, maybe get a small filter running or use a sponge filter if need be...................

and good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh i know im only gunna keep like 5 of em casue i have 6 already in my 220 gallon. i just wanna raise em for the fun of it then ill sell most

should i stick like half of em in a ten gallon and leave the rest in the 5.5??

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
that would be better than all in a 5.5,

but TBH, that many babies you need a large tank incase they dont sell and they start to grow

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
As been said you will need a much bigger tank. Remember this fish species grow very very fast so IMO you need at least a 75g tank for a while... anyway eventually you should thin your shoal or get a huge tank
!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
if your on a budget, go to home depot and get the 45-55g storage tubs and some scrap 2x4. Build a brace around the outside of the rubbermaid storage bin and presto(so it doesnt bow out when filled with water which can lead to breaking) , instant holding tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts