Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order for a 180 gallon acrylic tank by truvue tonight. The dimensions will be 72X24X24. I will be receiving it in approximately 2-3 weeks. Out of curiousity, I know a few people are running 180 gallons and I wanted to know what you recommended for filtration and powerheads. I can get a undergravel filter that will fit, do you recommend this? I've heard mixed reviews on UG's. I don't really want hang on filters either. What do you think would be the best route to go in your opinions. This tank will be housing 9 red bellies ranging from 4-6 inches in length.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would get build in overflows and use a wet/dry. UG aren't that good. As for powerheads get 2 @ 900gph or 700 since your tank is wide.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you recommend to put both powerheads on the same side or one on each side to move water towards the middle. I hear more people saying to put it on one side to simulate a river. The only problem I have with that, is there is no way to simulate a river in an aquarium as there is no water run off. The water will hit the other wall and circulate down and reverse flow when it reaches the gravel I would think. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think a sweet set up to simulate a river is to maybe have the over flow on the opposite side of the powerhead so the water would not oppose flow once it reaches the other side. Do you think that idea would work?:rock:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have powerheads on the same side. My powerheads doesn't go the whole length of the tank and plus you can barely feel the flow towards the end. You can try to see how the powerheads on opposite ends work with piranhas. If you do that you would need to buy 4 in total. 2 on each side. 1 won't spread the flow evenly.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I would put the powerheads on one side of the tank. Ive been told it isnt good to direct the current towards the middle.

Good luck with your new tank. I dont have experience with wet/drys but Ive been told lately they are by far the best.

:rockin:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
for the best results you have both returns at one end and both drains at the other, this will create a "river" effect which will exercise your fish and mix the water better

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Xenon said:
I would put the powerheads on one side of the tank. Ive been told it isnt good to direct the current towards the middle.
why not?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it from my lfs, it'll take 3 weeks or so till they receive it. I'm paying 600 for the tank and hood fixture. And this is to Nathan, what do you mean by the return and drains at the other?

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
rosecityrhom said:
I bought it from my lfs, it'll take 3 weeks or so till they receive it. I'm paying 600 for the tank and hood fixture.
not bad price!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any other opinions of the undergravel filter. So far I have one but I would like to hear more opinions on why or why not they use one. And I'm not sure if you saw my post Sir Nathan, but I was curious what you meant by both returns and both drains on opposite sides. What is considered the return and what is considered the drain in the set up you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
MAD piranhas said:
humm it cost me $599 for my glass 240gal, I herd acrylic is better?
Did you buy that tank new or used? A 180 glass up here cost $889 with nothing. I wish it was cheap to get tanks up here. Prices are outrageous.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I bought my 220g slightly used with wet/dry filter, stand, canopy, lights, pump and build in overflow. For $650. The wet/dry that I got was not big enough so I got rid of it. I guess its a good deal. Up here everything is expensive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts