Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my 16" rhom when I first received it:

The fish was emaciated, had cloudy eyes, the right pectoral fin was split all the way down to the body and showed signs of fin rot, both gill plates had signs of damage, all the fins were frayed (especially the dorsal), and finally the body had various scrapes (especially towards the tail area).

Two weeks later:

I decided to take out all of the gravel and decor to facilitate water changes. I added salt at 0.3%, did a 20% water change twice a week, kept the lights off (turned on the lights just to take pictures), and fed him shrimp and fish fillet every night.

Tank setup: 90 gallon, wet/dry filter w/ 25 watt UV, Emperor 400, 300 watt titanium heater in sump, temp at 82 F. Inhabitants: 2 bleeding heart tetras, 3 zebra danios, 4 rasboras, 1 pleco, 20 cardinal tetras.

Results... No more cloudy eye, all fins have healed (the dorsal has grown almost an inch!), the split pectoral fin has healed perfectly, and it has gained considerable bulk. The left gill plate is slowly healing, but that one is going to take a while...

An example of how quickly piranhas can heal.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
hold shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh**....very nice don...

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Fantastic!

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
wow what a monster, great recovery work dude!!

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I'm speechless...Bravo!!!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Absolutely incredible job
I thought I healed up my Caribe quick, but what you did with that rhom is just amazing. He's gonna be a killer beast when he's completely healed up, which at the rate you are going will be an hour or two from now.

Joe

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
winkyee said:
lol, apparently I am the only one who can't see the pics.lol
I tried in Netscape and I/E,
I can't view any images hosted @ 1asphost.com.
Weird..
Same here: I think it's because 1asphost sucks ass - their server is down like 50% of the time...

Imagine having your website running there (....like I have....
)

I bet you did a great job, DonH - just too bad I can't see the pics... :sad:

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the complements guys...

The reason why I switched to 1asphost was because arofanatics no longer provides remote image hosting.

I have moved the images to arofanatics as a link:Here along with some additional photos.

I bet you were worried when you first saw him.
Actually, I was quite impressed! I picked it up at the airport in a box that weighed 142 pounds. When I opened the box, it was in a large plastic laundry basket. The water was pretty dark (probably because of the tranq) but when I lifted the basket up from the water, the shape of this huge fish covering the entire bottom of the basket just blew my mind away.
How does he fare in the 90 gallon? What is he like?
He is a very active rhom. A little skittish right now but I think he's slowly adjusting to the environment. Fortunately, he eats a lot and consistently so far. The 90 gallon really displays him quite well but I know he will be much happier in a 180. If I have enough funds for another setup...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts