Piranhas Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hey.......how about that rehab process? I'd really like to see what you did to get your fish in such great shape.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
OK everyone, I will do my best to recount the treatment process for Buzz.
1. Upon bringing the rhom home I started him on a daily bath of Hikari Metro Plus (here is a link for further info on this product: Hikari Metro Plus). Just follow the directions as prescribed. I did apprx. 40 - 50% water changes as required in the medication directions. This product contains metronidazole as well as sodium chloride (salt). I did not add additional aquarium salt at anytime during the treatment, only the Metro Plus.

2. I also started the rhom on a diet as follows: fresh catfish fillets, cut into bite size cubes, then frozen. I would thaw 2 - 3 cubes and once they were at room temperature I would also do the following: add Boyds Vita Chem Freshwater Vitamin supplement, add Seachem Garlic Guard, add Seachem Metronidazole/Seachem Focus as per Seachem's recommended ratio, and let the catfish soak for apprx. 20 mins. I would also put vitamin saturated pellets into the catfish once the catfish was soaked in medication for 20 mins. I would use NLS Thera A anti-parasitic non-medicated pellets soaked in Boyd Vita Chem for apprx. 10 mins. These pellets offer extra garlic as the non-medicated anti-parasitic ingredient. Although there is no known cause for HITH, there are many suspected causes, one of them being an internal parasitic infection.

3. Water quality - my water was a mixture of tap/RO water to maintain a pH of apprx. 6.5 - 7.0. I used Boyd Chemi-Pure in the filters along with Seachem Purigen.

4. Initially he was treated with the Metro Plus bath-style in a 120 gallon (48 x 24 x 24"). After the bath treatment of 5 days, I moved him into a 180 gallon (72 x 24 x 24") where he received weekly water changes of apprx. 25 - 40%. Fresh water was treated with Seachem Prime and Seachem Discus Trace.

5. One of the suspected causes of HITH is stray voltage. I metered the water with my volt meter and even though I came up with 0, I did install a grounding probe into the aquarium. I have since removed it to see what affect it may have on the HITH returning (so far no further deterioration of HITH noted).

6. Although the HITH has greatly improved over the months, there are still some small pits that are healing and the tissue regeneration has left some scarring in the previously (ammonia) burnt areas and HITH areas. I am hoping that over time these areas will improve.

Oh, one last special ingredient - I used to take him out of the aquarium on a daily basis and rock him back and forth in a rocking chair while listening to some soothing SLAYER cds (ANVIL when he was a little skittish)

I may have forgotten something, if I remember with my old man brain I will add it...any questions, please fire away on the thread or through PM, whatever I can do to help I certainly will!
All the best, thanks to everyone for the generous compliments!
...now does anyone want to buy Buzz?!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Thanks for the info. I plan on using it on one of my fish. The statement about stray voltage really has me concerned about the powerhead I have on my tank. I used to have a 3' african lungfish, and the fish for no reason got HITH. Now that I look back at how that tank was set up. I see that I'm using the same powerhead that I had on that tank. I do 30-40% water changes once a week, and the gravel is clean at that time also. I've been really knocking my head against the wall trying to figure out how this rhom of mine got hith. I wonder if it's the powerhead?

Anyways.....thanks for the info. We'll see if it's successful on my fish too.

thanks,
Blue

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Very interesting find. I tested my tank with a volt meter, and it had a reading of 4.5 volts with the powerhead on. I unplugged the PH, and it has a reading 0 volts. I tested the other tanks, and they all read 0 volts. I'm gonna leave the PH off, and see if it's condition improves. This could be a very helpful find in preventing HITH with our fish. I suspected stray voltage, but I didn't think to test it with a volt meter.

BTW, the PH is an old aquaclear for the record.

My hat's off to you sir!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
carbee,
If you don't mine me asking. How long was it before you started to see some results?

blue

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
For the HITH, it probably took at least 5 - 7 days to see some healing on the holes. I focused in on a couple specific holes (seeing as he had alot to pick from!) and I would monitor those specific holes daily to see if I could notice healing. From my experience, it takes a long time to get HITH in check...but I was dealing with an extreme case (as you can see in the photos).

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For the HITH, it probably took at least 5 - 7 days to see some healing on the holes. I focused in on a couple specific holes (seeing as he had alot to pick from!) and I would monitor those specific holes daily to see if I could notice healing. From my experience, it takes a long time to get HITH in check...but I was dealing with an extreme case (as you can see in the photos).
My fish has minimal damage, and I sure there will be no signs of it once it's gone. Thanks for sharing the info.

·
Down With Tyranny....Overthrow ksls!!!
7,184 Posts
Great job. Rhom's lookin good

·
Registered
160 Posts
omg i cant believe he looks that good after what he came from, there's always hope

·
Registered
123 Posts
hi carbee
my rhom has the same problem i have tried melafix and prima fix . the rhom als o seem to have fungus and is rubbing sideways along the rocks on the bottom of the aquarium what would you suggest

thanks anthony

·
Registered
371 Posts
6. Although the HITH has greatly improved over the months, there are still some small pits that are healing and the tissue regeneration has left some scarring in the previously (ammonia) burnt areas and HITH areas. I am hoping that over time these areas will improve.
Great work Carbee. I had a very similar situation with my 15" rhom. He's fully recovered from all of those ailments (fin rot, HITH, slight gill curl, etc...). After 1 year of being fully recovered, he still has some scaring that has yet to heal from the HITH. Granted, I believe my rhom's HITH may have been in a later stage than yours, but it IS still healing and will take some time.

I try not to overdose him on any medications, but once in a while, I'll perform a treatment of melafix for 5 days to promote additional regeneration in those old HITH scar areas. You can see the improvements with each treatment, but again, I don't recommend keeping any fish on the meds for a prolonged period.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself,great job!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
u r truly the man
i have a 12inch piraya that is suffering from hole n the head an i had no real answer on how 2 attack it. till now thanks a million!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aaaaaawwwwweeeeesssssssoommmeeeee!!!!!!! I'm never going to give up on any of my P's!!!!

Aaaaaawwwwweeeeesssssssoommmeeeee!!!!!!! I'm never going to give up on any of my P's!!!!

What he'll double reply...

41 - 60 of 62 Posts