Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have 14 red bellies that are about 3 inches. My question is how much longer till I need to find some of them a new home? I know I can only keep about eight of them on there when they get full grown. Thanks for the help.

Jason

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
you will know when they start nipping at each other and you might get a death, but maybe when they start getting past the 4-5" mark you should realy seriously start looking...................

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
you will know when they start nipping at each other and you might get a death, but maybe when they start getting past the 4-5" mark you should realy seriously start looking...................
Agreed ^^

Their behavior will dictate when you need to start looking for them a new home. As stated, the 5" sounds about right. Just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Agreed with Dezboy, once they start nipping at each other to frequently or once you notice that they are cramped, then it might be time to remove a few and put them in a separate tank.

Hater

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Whats the footprint of the tank? If it is the 2'X5' then I think you would be fine for another year...maybe more depending on how they interact. I always go by feel when stocking a tank....with them growing up in that tank you should be able to tell pretty easily when it is time to either upgrade or sell a few.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the footprint of the tank? If it is the 2'X5' then I think you would be fine for another year...maybe more depending on how they interact. I always go by feel when stocking a tank....with them growing up in that tank you should be able to tell pretty easily when it is time to either upgrade or sell a few.
My tank is 2'x 5'. So far everyone in there is fine. It is a little full. I have two pacus (which I know I will have to get rid of), four tiger barbs, four chinese algae eaters, two crabs, and some guppies they never ate. None of these fish get really big except for the pacus right?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hey guys,
I have 14 red bellies that are about 3 inches. My question is how much longer till I need to find some of them a new home? I know I can only keep about eight of them on there when they get full grown. Thanks for the help.
Jason
In my opinion even eight full grown (12-13") is way too much for a 150 gallon tank.
You can perhaps keep most of the 14 for a maximum of one year in there.
Reds ought to grow up to 8" within the first year, but in this case a doubt they can do it in that crowd.
And if you try to feed them all well, you will be having big water quality issues quite soon.

Harry

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
My tank is 2'x 5'. So far everyone in there is fine. It is a little full. I have two pacus (which I know I will have to get rid of), four tiger barbs, four chinese algae eaters, two crabs, and some guppies they never ate. None of these fish get really big except for the pacus right?
[/quote]

so wait..you have 14 red bellies, in addition to the list you just listed? ^

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/quote]

so wait..you have 14 red bellies, in addition to the list you just listed? ^
[/quote]

You got it. So far everyone has been fine, but I know it wont last for ever. They all started off at about 1 inch. I will admit, it is nice have more then just Ps in your tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts