Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just picked up a 125g with a stand for 200 bucks.
currently i have 2 emp 400's. how much more filtration do i need? emp 400's are easy for me to get, could i just run like 4 of them or should i get a canister????? are fluval 405's an ok choice?
also, what do you guys recommend for heating. looking forward to hearing form u guys, karl

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
What do you plan to stock this tank with (makes a difference in the amount of filtration needed IMO)?

As far as heating, get the recommended size heater for a tank that size, and you will most likely need two - three heaters to keep the entire tank at a pretty consistant temperature so spread the amount needed throughout the two-three heaters you get... rule of thumb is 5watts per gallon... so you would need a little over 600w or 3 200w heaters in there.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
If your tank has 2 center braces, I think the max number of Emps would be 3. 2 Emps and a Magnum 350 Pro wouldn't be bad, although I'd do 3 Magnum 350 Pros and ditch the Emps if it were me.

If you are set on using the 2 emps, set them up for extra biological filtration and get an FX5 or other large canister...the size and type of canister depends on your fishload.

I agree with what riz said on the heaters, get 2-3 (I'd go with Visi-Therm Stealth).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i have 1 400 watt in mine, my house stays at 71 all of the time and tank temp
is 78 to 80 deg without fail

1 canister about 350 to 450 gph would do just fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts