Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new 125tank. What kinda filtration system is best but not on a rich mans budget. I have 9 reds going n it.any help would be greatly appreiated. I was told not to use undergravel for them because gravel clogs to easily.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cheapest would probably be a diy wet dry filter, most expensive part will be the pump. If you search the forums you will find plenty of diy plans. Or you could get away with a few hang on the back filters such as an aquaclear 110, or a emperor 400. I also suggest buying the filters etc.. online it will be much cheaper than in a petstore unless ofcourse you get a five finger discount.
Good luck, also from experience it's better to spend a little more on the filters etc, because usually with the more expensive ones the build quality and reliability is much better, which will save you money in the long run. I highly recommend anything from eheim you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Cheapest would probably be a diy wet dry filter, most expensive part will be the pump. If you search the forums you will find plenty of diy plans. Or you could get away with a few hang on the back filters such as an aquaclear 110, or a emperor 400. I also suggest buying the filters etc.. online it will be much cheaper than in a petstore unless ofcourse you get a five finger discount.:laugh: Good luck, also from experience it's better to spend a little more on the filters etc, because usually with the more expensive ones the build quality and reliability is much better, which will save you money in the long run. I highly recommend anything from eheim you won't be sorry.
I have a 125g....with a rena xp4 and aquaclear 110....

Id say that ot an xp3 with 2 aquaclear

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have a 125g....with a rena xp4 and aquaclear 110....

Id say that ot an xp3 with 2 aquaclear
ding ding ding

we have a winner

·
Registered
371 Posts
Perfect. Thanks guys.

I JUUUST got my 125 yesterday and already have two Marineland Penguin 330's running (already with good bio media). I couldn't decide what would work best, so I was considering the Rena XP3 to suppliment them or to just move my emporer 400 from the 65 to the 125.

SO, I guess I would have one question (although I'm leaning toward getting the XP3):
Would 2 Penguin 330's and 1 Emporer 400 be enough on a 125 with two 400gpm+ powerheads? My bio load is relatively light with just the 3 juvi RBs going in there for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts