• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Absolutely not... the thought of a higher power is an invention of people to keep other people in line.... modern religions are the logical progression of a non-primitive society - just like computer programmers and hackers, cops and criminals, they always have to stay ahead of the game, so they keep changing things to fit in with whatever people know at the time.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
i voted no
Care to discuss/debate?
[/quote]

well i have been raised as being lutheran all my life but over the past few years i have started to think for myself and not listen and believe everything im told. here are a few things i have thought of.....they might not sound too great being read, i can explain more what i mean in person but i will give it a shot...

many stores sell religious books right? these people are usually quite religious people so why do they sell these scriptures? isnt it technically a sin to have to sell your god's word? why should they profit off of what they believe is their gods word?

many hundreds, even thousands of years ago when kings ruled they were in command of their area, right? who was usually second in command besides the kings family? the church. i think the church was always second in command because the king would have the church fill all of the people of his land with thoughts and images of heaven if the person would follow and do exactly as the king instructed the church to tell the person to do. how would he deter people from rebelling agaisnt him? the creation of a "hell". with this "hell" created, the people would be afraid of rebeling against the king in fear of when they die they would not live in forever peace. what would usually happen to people that would not attend the services? they were killed.

also, in the older testaments, didnt god not take any sh*t from people and was said to kill anyone who disobeyed him? what ever happened to that? has god suddenly seen the error of his ways and stopped killing people for not believing in him?

many people were said to have written the bible. all of the stories in this scriptuer could have easily been made up. how you say? have you ever played the game "telephone" where you tell someone something, and tehn that person tells another person what you said? you remember how off the story ended up being at the end of the game. people add and forget stuff as they hear the story and pass it on. another thing is that just like in the current day, i bet many people exaggerated stories that were supposed to have happened for the mere purpose of entertainment

so many people die throughout the world, even young kids. whats to say that god wanted the young ones back home with him when the kid is only a few years old? also, how come there are so many violent deaths with people and kids if there is a god? shouldnt he protect the children and make sure they live long lives, or atleast make sure they dont get murdered or attacked like we all have seen in so many news articles over the years?

heaven is always said to have been up in the sky and when you die and become an angel you get wings, right? thats because throughout the ages, mankind has been obssessed with being able to fly and get up into the clouds. now that airplanes have been invented, we see that there is no such "heaven" up in the sky hidden in the clouds like we have always thought

also, what is to say that people are the only things that deserve life after death? what happens to animals when they die? do they just disappear forever while humans live on?

god is just an idea to explain to people things about the world that they do not know enough about themselves. for instance, the rain used to be thoguht of as an act of god and the sun setting and raising. through science, we now know why all of this happens.

and one other thing i can think of right now... there are hundreds, even thousands of relgions in the world? what is to say that just one religion is the right one and all the others are wrong? even if this "right" religion is hundreds or even thousands of years newer than the older religions.

i realize that some of these arguments are more towards christianity, since i was raised up in that sector of religion.

i believe more in reincarnation of some sort. i believe that when we die we come back somehow to life. maybe not in this world, but somewhere in the universe. its impossible to believe that in a universe this large that this one tiny little pebble that we call earth is the only place suitible to support life. if there was a god, where do all of these spirits come from that create life?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
i believe more in reincarnation of some sort. i believe that when we die we come back somehow to life. maybe not in this world, but somewhere in the universe. its impossible to believe that in a universe this large that this one tiny little pebble that we call earth is the only place suitible to support life. if there was a god, where do all of these spirits come from that create life?
I agree with you that there is more out there. It's funny how Western religion never caught on to reincarnation.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I don't think a belief in God is something you should try to achieve rationally, or through visable evidence. All I know is that when I was leading the Christmas service yesterday on the pipe organ, and hundreds of people stood up to sing "Come all Ye Faithful, and the organ was just blasting out so loud, I knew there had to be a God. Now you could say it was just my musical talent producing the illusion of emotion, but it sure didn't feel like an illusion.

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
For whatever to be created, to be moved...there has to be a Mover, and that which is moved is the Mover Itself. There is The Source, there is The Force, and there is the Result...it is all One.

God exists.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
something was moved yes, and there was a mover, yes. doesn't mean they choose heaven or hell

answer me this, bible says no false gods, so does that mean all the buddists, muslims catholics etc, are going to "hell"?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I voted no. I believe more in evolution than anything.....but then the question lingers of who or how the universe was created. I don't even know what to think anymore.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
answer me this, bible says no false gods, so does that mean all the buddists, muslims catholics etc, are going to "hell"?
The Jews of the Old Testament had no awareness of Buddhism to my knowlege; Islam had yet to come into being - nor had Catholicism. The God of the Hebrews is referring specifically to the polytheistic peoples and the Pagans that lived among the Israelites or as their neighbors. The covenant resembles a marraige contract, where worship of false gods is perceived as adultery. But nowhere in the Old Testament is the fire of hell promised for the pagans. I believe that condemnation to hell is more of a New Testament phenomenon as far as the Bible goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts