Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all first post here hope to be around for a while.

i am looking at getting a group of RBPs for my 75 gallon tank, but at the moment it is housing a few fish for a buddy of mine, a pacu, and convicts. i am going to be getting some RBPs at some point in the near future. would it be alright to use an established 10 gallon tank to hold the Piranhas while i wait for my buddy to grab his fish, which should be in a week or so.

If that would be suitable for a few days how many could i house in my 75?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mike

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
first off how big are thay gonna be? but most likely people well tell you dont do it cuz when cramed up reds tend to pick each other off quickly.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
to the site!....

I would wait until your friend come and get his fish first...and then get the red in there. If you put them in 10g...and then move them into 75g...that would give them more stress. and 10g..is way to small although the red will only be an 1" or less.

You can start out with 4-6 small red bellie in 75g...but once their grown big and mature to about 6" or bigger you will need atleast 125g...for them or sell some of them. 75g...are good for 3 full grown red.

Piranha as for pygo can grow very fast and big, depending on the tank size and how well you take care of them. SO the bigger tank the better for them..keep in mind that piranha are unpredictable, so anything can happen to them in there.

Here is why I say no to 10g...or small tank

stree them out
stunt it grow
more territorial their will fight and eat each other

good luck!..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to the site!....

I would wait until your friend come and get his fish first...and then get the red in there. If you put them in 10g...and then move them into 75g...that would give them more stress. and 10g..is way to small although the red will only be an 1" or less.

You can start out with 4-6 small red bellie in 75g...but once their grown big and mature to about 6" or bigger you will need atleast 125g...for them or sell some of them. 75g...are good for 3 full grown red.

Piranha as for pygo can grow very fast and big, depending on the tank size and how well you take care of them. SO the bigger tank the better for them..keep in mind that piranha are unpredictable, so anything can happen to them in there.

Here is why I say no to 10g...or small tank

stree them out
stunt it grow
more territorial their will fight and eat each other

good luck!..
ill talk to my friend and see if he can come sooner. about how long do you think they will be good in the 75 gallon for? i had planned on moving up in size anyway

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
^^ you can have 3 full grown in 75g..for life.

if you are moving up to bigger tank here i would do

120g...to 150g...5-6 full grown.

180g..to 2240g.... 8-10 full grown but that just me..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ you can have 3 full grown in 75g..for life.

if you are moving up to bigger tank here i would do

120g...to 150g...5-6 full grown.

180g..to 2240g.... 8-10 full grown but that just me..
how long do i have roughly before they outgrow the 75 gallon? i was planing on getting a good size group. i have read that the more there are the more comfortable they feel and such since they are used to being in packs

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
3 full grown will not out grown 75g...unless you add more piranha in there..

Yes the more pygo the more comfortable there are because it shoal fish, it feel safe as well..but you have to realize that the more you have piranha the bigger tank you need to avoid the aggression, eating and killing each other..piranha are unpredictable, you will never know what will going on when you not there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts