Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Profile: Red Belly Pacu Piaractus Brachypomum

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:29 AM (#1) User is offline   MR.FREEZ 

• DOC#003162
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:(.)(.)'s

posted for review, additions, and corrections. looking for a couple pictures clearly showing the teeth. Also links to news articles of released fish that have been catch and miss identified.
Posted Image
AKSkirmish's fish ^
Posted Image
Tramatic's fish ^

Scientific name: Piaractus Brachypomum
Common name: Red belly Pacu, Pacu, Red Pacu, Tambaqui
Synonyms: Colossoma Macropomum, Colossoma Tambaqui, Colossoma Nigripnne, Colossoma oculus, Piraractus Macropomus,
Genus: Piaractus
Order: Characiformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Characidae
Subfamily: Serrasalminae

Origin: South America, most if South America’s river basins. Orinoco River.

Minimum Tank Size: NOT SUITABLE FOR HOME AQUARIUMS. Due to the immense size of this fish they should really be kept in ponds. If an aquarium is all that you have then some were around 240 gallon tank would be the minimum for ONE adult sized fish.
Tank setup: You’ll need a heater, I suggest the titanium heater, large pieces of driftwood or rock, because this fish can get so big and it can easily be spooked, you don’t want a heater that will break or any décor that could fall and crack the tank or injure the fish. Be sure to leave large swimming areas open also. They spend a lot of their time in the floodplains of the Amazon so that may help you with your décor ideals. No live plants should be use because they may be eaten. Plenty of filtration and a nice current from a power head set to a timer.

Temperament: Peaceful, but will not be bullied around. They may school as juveniles but are more solitary as adults.
Compatibility: Other large fish that require the same water conditions and care. They will work in communities but it will eat fish small enough to fit in its mouth. I don’t recommend it but some have kept pacus with piranhas and I have heard that the pacu will mimic the behavior of the piranhas joining in on the feeding frenzies. Just know that the piranhas will sooner or later realize what kind of fish it is and the pacu will end up a meal.

Water Type: Fresh, temperature 75*F to 83*F, pH 6 to 7.5, dH 20

Size: 24”inches and more and more. This fish gets very large but is still sold in most fish stores. This is the reason lots of pacus are released to non native waters, later to be caught and miss identified as piranha due to their close resemblance and causing public scares. They get too big for most aquarist to care for and really should stop being sold in fish stores.

Appearance: As juveniles they very closely resemble red belly piranhas and are often sold as such. They have a gray base color with red / orange colored bellies. Two ways to tell them apart is the tail and the jaws.
CLICK HERE FOR THE DIFFERENCES

Sexual dimorphism: Not very many differences between the sexes, males are said to have a more vibrant red on the bellies.
Breeding: Egg layer, other then that not much is known due to the large size of the fish at sexual maturity.

Feeding: Omnivores, their diet should consist largely of vegetable matter. One of the few fish that have molars that they can use to crack open seeds to eat.

Other Variants: Black pacu

References:
1) more info
2) OPEFE
3) more info
4) more info
5) fish base info
6) more info
7) more info
8) more info
9) more info
10) more info

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:34 AM (#2) User is offline   AKSkirmish 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • Group: Senior Member

very nice, ill try to get some of the teeth tonight or tomarrow i dont know how to pm or email pics so look in the near future for me to post these pics guys. :wub: This should be pretty easy to do as for he isnt scared of n e thing and doesn't mind me checking him out at all.

• Serrasalmus elongatus
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

Yes, finally a quality pacu profile :helpsmilie:

But I always thought that the scientific name for red bellied pacu was Piaractus brachypomus and the scientific name you have used, Colossoma Macropomum, was for the black pacu :)

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:45 PM (#4) User is offline   MR.FREEZ 

• DOC#003162
  • Interests:(.)(.)'s

jan, on Sep 2 2005, 01:27 AM, said:

Yes, finally a quality pacu profile  :lmao: 

But I always thought that the scientific name for red bellied pacu was Piaractus brachypomus and the scientific name you have used, Colossoma Macropomum, was for the black pacu  :lmao:
View Post

yeah i still unsure on that, so i went with what fish base gave

me, i got a question posted in non piranha science and im

just waitin on some reassurance :lmao:

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:48 PM (#5) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Aquariums, Dirtbiking, and Drumming.

good info, but as for the confusion, black pacu is a tottally different species freez, and blacks are said to get all the way up to 6', but fortunatly they are pretty rare, i personally have seen a semi-full grown black about 3 1/2', it was awsum, and ive seen a handful of 6"er blacks sold at my LFS
When the power of love overcomes the love of power

the world shall know true peace

• Fanatic
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

Great profile :thumbup:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox