Profile: Gold Nugget Pleco - Piranha-Fury Forums

Piranha-Fury Forums: Profile: Gold Nugget Pleco - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Profile: Gold Nugget Pleco Baryancistrus sp.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:33 PM (#1) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Aquariums, Dirtbiking, and Drumming.

Posted Image

Posted Image
*above pics submitted by Tibs

Scientific name: Baryancistrus sp.
Common name: Gold Nugget Pleco
Synonyms: L081
Genus: Baryancistrus
Order: Siluriformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Loricaridae
Size: 6" (15cm)
Origin: Amazonian water system, piticularly Rio Xingu
Minimum Tank Size: 30x12x12 (20 "Long")
Tank setup: plenty of "surface" area in which it may establish territories, and be sure to give plenty of room if housing with other plecos
Temperament: a peaceful pleco towards non-plecos, although they can be quite aggressive towards others of the same genus, and very pugnacious towards other gold nuggets
Compatibility: suitable for most community setups
Water Type: Freshwater
Temperature: 76-86F (24-30C)
Hardness: 6-11 dH
pH: 5.8-6.8
Sexual dimorphism: like most plecos, they can be very hard to sex, although in sexual maturaty the males will tend to have a "wider" flatter head, while females is more rounded. while young, it is said that the males will be more inclined to hide in caves, while females are more active. odontal growth is the same on both.
Breeding: generally not easily acheived because of the fact that 2 gold nuggets shouldnt be put together, and that it is very hard to sex. although it would be expected to be similar to other baryancistrus and other similiar plecos
Feeding: in my experience with these there favorite food seem to be sinking carnivore, although a varied diet with lots of veggies will also be appreatated,too.
Other Varients: a debated topic, there is other varients with gold nuggets that can be labeled as L018 and L085, which are both said to reach 12"+, and L177 which has "larger" spots.

A very good "starter" pleco in my opinion for a few reasons, although they can be touchy, once established they seem to be pretty hardy and accepting. they can also are generally easy to find at any petstore and usually at a pretty reasonable price. another thing that makes them good is the variety of foods, once aclimated right they can be very easy to get to eat. although the main thing that discourages most is that they can be very hard to get to aclimate and establishd correctly.

heres a handy link
another handy link

This post has been edited by MR.FREEZ: 11 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

When the power of love overcomes the love of power

the world shall know true peace

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:51 PM (#2) User is offline   MR.FREEZ 

• DOC#003162
  • Interests:(.)(.)'s

pinned for review and corrections

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:33 PM (#3) User is offline   King Oscar 

• Psychotic
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

damn nice profile
55 gallon- 1 Oscar "The King"
29 gallon- 1 Male Black Con "Batman", 1 Female Pink con "Fire Star", and alot of fry
10 gallon- 2 Tiger Barbs
1 gallon bowl- cash to my future 125g tank

• Serrasalmus elongatus

nice profile :thumbup:

i want a gold nugget or a royal, but im afraid my flowerhorn would pwn it :thumbup:

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:42 PM (#5) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Aquariums, Dirtbiking, and Drumming.

shutter13, on Jul 28 2005, 06:18 PM, said:

nice profile  :thumbdown:

i want a gold nugget or a royal, but im afraid my flowerhorn would pwn it  :maaad:
View Post

i wouldnt recomend a gold nugget in with a flowerhorn because of the fact that they only reach 6", which should take a while considering there slower growth rate in my experience.

although a royal may be a good choice because, depending on variety, reach 12-18", some say up to 24"! but then again royals tend to be on the high price scale so that would be a lil bit of a risk
When the power of love overcomes the love of power

the world shall know true peace

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery

Tibs, on Jul 28 2005, 06:33 PM, said:

although the main thing that discourages most is that they can be very hard to get to aclimate and establishd correctly.View Post

I think this needs to be emphasized, as in captivity, the mortality rate of this Gold Nugget, as well as the other Gold Nugget species (L018 and L177), Snowball Pleco's (L142), Mango/Magnum Pleco (L047), Blue Finned "Panaque" (L239) and other Baryancistrus and similar species, is extremely high (with some of the species mentioned more than 50%).
The exact reason for this is unknown, but some say it may be caused by stress-induced dying off of gut flora during transport. What supports this theory is the fact that it is frequently observed that these fish die despite the fact that they are eating: a loss of crucial gut flora means the fish is uncapable of absorbing nutrients from the food it eats, which may cause starvation.

To give these fish a fighting chance, it's very important to keep them in a small quarantaine tank for at least a few weeks, before re;easing it in a larger tank with other fish. This way it can adapt to its new surroundings in peace, without competition or stress. It also enables to owner to closely monitor the fish, and check if it's healthy and wheter it eats well.
The tank - a 10-15g is enough - should be heavily decorated, dimly lit, with powerful filtration, lots of currents (powerhead), heavy oxygenation, and a warm temperature (80-84 degrees F).
Once the fish is healthy, acts normally and eats well, it can be released into another tank - still monitr it well during the first period, to check if it competes well (if not, remove it again).

Because of this, in my opinion the Gold Nugget and the others mentioned, are most definitely not beginners pleco's.

Otherwise a very good profile, Tibs - thanks for your efforts  :laugh:

This post has been edited by Judazzz: 25 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:57 AM (#7) User is offline   aznkon 

• Infatuated

View PostJudazzz, on Aug 25 2005, 08:16 PM, said:

Tibs, on Jul 28 2005, 06:33 PM, said:

although the main thing that discourages most is that they can be very hard to get to aclimate and establishd correctly.View Post

I think this needs to be emphasized, as in captivity, the mortality rate of this Gold Nugget, as well as the other Gold Nugget species (L018 and L177), Snowball Pleco's (L142), Mango/Magnum Pleco (L047), Blue Finned "Panaque" (L239) and other Baryancistrus and similar species, is extremely high (with some of the species mentioned more than 50%).
The exact reason for this is unknown, but some say it may be caused by stress-induced dying off of gut flora during transport. What supports this theory is the fact that it is frequently observed that these fish die despite the fact that they are eating: a loss of crucial gut flora means the fish is uncapable of absorbing nutrients from the food it eats, which may cause starvation.

To give these fish a fighting chance, it's very important to keep them in a small quarantaine tank for at least a few weeks, before re;easing it in a larger tank with other fish. This way it can adapt to its new surroundings in peace, without competition or stress. It also enables to owner to closely monitor the fish, and check if it's healthy and wheter it eats well.
The tank - a 10-15g is enough - should be heavily decorated, dimly lit, with powerful filtration, lots of currents (powerhead), heavy oxygenation, and a warm temperature (80-84 degrees F).
Once the fish is healthy, acts normally and eats well, it can be released into another tank - still monitr it well during the first period, to check if it competes well (if not, remove it again).

Because of this, in my opinion the Gold Nugget and the others mentioned, are most definitely not beginners pleco's.

Otherwise a very good profile, Tibs - thanks for your efforts :rockon:

I've had success with all the plecos mentioned above as well as many other species. However I've had over 5 different golden nuggets at 5 different times and they've all died within 2 weeks for me. The idea of quarantining them might be good for them. I've given up on them unless I can find one for 10 bucks to try again but be warned that these are not a good starter pleco because of the fact that they're so difficult to keep alive for the first few weeks. However once they do acclimate I've heard they are extremely hardy. I've heard of people keeping them for 5+ years without any problems. Go with bushynoses if you want a starter pleco...they're small, grow fast, breed faster, and if they die it's a really small dent in your pocket (around 3 or 4 bucks for one online).
Posted ImagePlease click to save him I really appreciate it if you do

• Psychotic
  • View gallery

if i buy one i cheak them to see if there healty if you order them you don't know what you are gettin if you are able to see them first then you will have great luck i have a 4-5'' had him for a wile!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language