• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PAINTED FISH - DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!

Posted 12 July 2003 - 12:49 PM (#1) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man
  • Group: Senior Member

Posted Image

I hate painted fish - the fish are quite nice themselves, but of course they never asked to be painted, I much prefer "natural" indian glassfish and other fish that are sometimes dyed like albino corys and stuff.

Here in the UK it seems these fish are now rare as many fish shop owners will refuse to stock these fish.

The reason is these "painted" fish are put through horrible treatment to "paint" them in such a way.

quote is from frank "hastatus"

Dr Stan MacMahon and Dr Peter Burgess explain the damage done to fish when they are barbarically injected with dye.

Some fishkeepers, and possibly even a few traders, may be puzzled as to why so much fuss has been made about dyed fish. On the face of it, the practice of dyeing or “painting” the fish seems fairly innocuous and the artificially dyed specimens are certainly very eye-catching in their various “day-glo” colours. So why push for a voluntary ban on selling them? Our investigations have revealed the truth behind the dyed fish saga.

Disco fish
Our first encounter with dyed fish was back in the late 1980’s. Thousands of artificially coloured glassfish, Parambassis ranga (formerly Chanda ranga) were imported into the UK.

The glassfish, so named because of its naturally semi-transparent body, obviously makes it an ideal subject for “painting”.

They were seen with fluorescent shades of either blue, purple, red, yellow, orange or green produced by dyes.

They were (and still are) imported under the names “painted glassfish” or “disco fish” (presumably because their almost fluorescent colours resemble discotheque lights).

How is the dye applied?
Intrigued as to how the dye was applied we decided to carry out a little research. A few coloured glassfish were sedated in MS222 anaesthetic and observed under a binocular microscope. It became apparent that the dye is not on the surface of the fish, but lay under the epidermis.

Furthermore, the dye appeared fluid and could be moved slightly by gently squeezing the coloured area.

This suggested that it must have been injected into the fish at various sites over the body in order to form the distinctive colour patterns. Our fears were confirmed a few years later when we were shown photographs of the colouring process, revealing that each fish is individually injected using a syringe and needle.

The practice of dye injection is undertaken by fish farmers in some regions of Asia (but not Singapore as far as we know). Clearly, the common name “painted glassfish” is a cruelly misleading description.

If one considers the relative bore size of the injection needle with that of a glassfish, it would be the equivalent of us receiving several jabs using a needle of pencil-sized diameter - not a pleasant thought.

As experienced fish scientists, we would never dream of injecting fish of such small size. No wonder the injection process is alleged to cause high mortalities.

Increasing the risk of disease...
A survey which we carried out in the south of England revealed that over 40% of painted glassfish appeared to be suffering from lymphocystis virus. This disease manifests itself as a small whitish growths on the fish’s body and fins.

An examination of the white growths under the powerful electron microscope confirmed our diagnosis. In contrast, less than 10% of the natural (unpainted) glassfish had lymphocystis.

It is possible that the injection process increases the risk of this disease, perhaps by transmitting the virus from fish to fish via the needle (the same needle is used to inject tens or even hundreds of fish).

Alternatively, the stress of being injected with the dye may lower the fish’s natural immunity to lymphocystis. It must be said that, in our experience, those glassfish which survive the injection process go on to live fairly normal lives, despite the gaudy dyes present within their bodies. In time, the dye fades.

Moral issue
Many people believe that fish do not feel pain and so injecting them with dyes is perfectly acceptable. In fact, increasing scientific evidence suggests that fish are indeed capable of feeling pain, though we have no way of telling whether they perceive painful events in the same way as we do.

So dye injection is likely to be a painful experience for the poor glassfish. In fairness, many traders and hobbyists were mislead, just as we first were, into thinking that these fish were simply painted with the dye.
Now that the truth is out, it’s time to stop this cruel practice, once and for all.

Other species which are sometimes dyed
Glassfish are not the only species which are subjected to artificial colouring.

Many types of albino fish also make ideal “white cavasses” for colouring. We have observed the following artificially coloured fish in the UK, and suspect there may be others.

Albino versions of Corydoras catfish, such as aeneus; Tiger barbs; Albino Epalzeorhynchus (formerly Labeo) such as the Red-finned shark; Black widow tetras; Rams and some Botia species.

Typically these exhibit red or blue on part of the body, but the dyes are not as bright or gaudy as those used to inject glassfish.

Fish which have pale or semi-transparent bodies such as the glassfish, Kryptoterus, also suffer.

The PFK Ban Dyed Fish Campaign

Practical Fishkeeping ran an award-winning campaign which started in 1996 and asked aquatic retailers to sign a pledge that they would not sell dyed fish. The majority of British retailers signed up and dyed fish are now relatively uncommon in the UK.

This article was first published in the March 1998 issue of Practical Fishkeeping.

here is a handy link
here is another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres a stipid link
heres another stupid link

This post has been edited by MR.FREEZ: 23 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageMember of the Month, March 2003
Posted ImageMember of the Month, April 2004

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:01 PM (#2) User is offline   thePACK 

• 5 TIME CHAMPS
  • Interests:"I love cats...they taste just like chicken"
  • Current Piranhas: i came to chew bubble-gum and kick A$$ and i'm all out of bubble-gum!!

interesting..around my areas fish color dye is very popular with people..some fish look gorgeous to say..like a emerald green oscar..not natural but damn it look sweet..
Posted Image
-I NEVER BRAG HOW REAL I KEEP IT, ONLY WHEN I'M ON THE INTERNET-
[/quote]

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:15 PM (#3) User is offline   Ms_Nattereri 

• .pocketful of sunshine.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Wow, I say one comment to you on AIM and you post a novel about it. Sheesh! They are pretty colored fish though. Besides how are you to tell which ones are artificial and which ones arent?
-Karen

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived.

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:21 PM (#4) User is offline   Ms_Nattereri 

• View gallery

Wow, I say one comment to you on AIM and you post a novel about it.  Sheesh!  They are pretty colored fish though. Besides how are you to tell which ones are artificial and which ones arent?

all painted fish are artificial

Say it aint so :bowdown:
-Karen

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived.

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:27 PM (#5) User is offline   Ms_Nattereri 

• View gallery

Say it aint so  :rockon:

yeah, so if you want bright fish go for the natural ones like neons/cardinals/bettas/plattys/marine fish/discus and all of the non-dyed ones - their is plenty of choice and your tank can still look great and colourfull :bowdown:

I guess... :laugh2: ...but I still like a good ol' painted glass fish  :laugh:
-Karen

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:42 PM (#6) User is offline   Alexraptor 

• Psychotic
  • Current Piranhas: 1x Red-Belly of 8 years.

erm painted fish is animal cruelty if u ask me :laugh2:
should be banned. i mean how would u feel if somone pumped yer body full of paint :bowdown:
Posted Image
Click it now!

Posted 12 July 2003 - 01:50 PM (#7) User is offline   smb 

• Obsessed

Great thread Innes. Hopefully the more the word gets out, the less and less people will buy them and this heinous practice will stop. :bowdown:

Maybe you could make it a sticky for a while?

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:42 PM (#8) User is offline   Xenon 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery

i dont care if you make it a sticky, your the moderator of this forum.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:43 PM (#9) User is offline   pcrose 

• Beautiful One
  • Interests:Animals, music, books, drawing, videogames the color blue, vampires, anything that flies
  • Current Piranhas: Angel in disguise

k innes I will never buy a paint fish

"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
-Boondock Saints

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:48 PM (#10) User is offline   o snap its eric 

• Me except the eye color

like duh!!!!!!
Posted Image

• Addicted
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

I just think they look stupid in the first place. I'm into the natural setup of things and seeing a neon fish swimming around would look retarted

• Fanatic

I can't believe that they are all individually injected by hand, yet they sell so cheap. I think a painted glass fish cost around $1.50 @ my local wal-mart.

Posted 13 July 2003 - 08:26 PM (#13) User is offline   EMJAY 

• Psychotic

thats crazee, i never thought people could even do that stuff, and to think i was goign to fill a 10 gallon with those a week or two ago :suspect:

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:58 PM (#14) User is offline   RhomZilla 

• I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Avatar!!
  • Interests:Your MOM!!!
  • Current Piranhas: OH EMM GEE !!!!! I don't have any fish!!! =***(

They're nice fish... alot of work to try and inject a good amount. But for what those fish go through and only sold for less than $2 is plain mean.
Posted ImagePosted Image
I AM THE BEST BECAUSE
I RUN WITH THE
BEST

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:41 PM (#15) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man

they could be sold for $30 each, and it doesn't make it any better :rockon:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageMember of the Month, March 2003
Posted ImageMember of the Month, April 2004

• Obsessed

please no one buy painted glass fish and all other artificially dye injected fish, this process is extremely harmful to the wellbeing of the fish injected and is cruel :rockon: . Please think of the fish. DO not support this cruelty. I only buy true colored fish.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:39 PM (#17) User is offline   Alexraptor 

• Psychotic

newbie plz change yer avatar. thats my Piranha :rockon:
Posted Image
Click it now!

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:51 PM (#18) User is offline   piranhasaurus 

• Captivated

for all of you that feel this is cruelty to animal, please don't buy or keep any fish in your aquarium at all. confining them to such a small area as compare to their natural habit is even more cruelty.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:04 PM (#19) User is offline   Alexraptor 

• Psychotic

for all of you that feel this is cruelty to animal, please don't buy or keep any fish in your aquarium at all. confining them to such a small area as compare to their natural habit is even more cruelty.

heck some fishes if u give em a nice tank its not even the least bit animal cruelty at all on the point u referr to.
some fishes live in small ditches. and some in very tiny ponds that could be like water puddles.

and as Innes said its not cruelty at the same level.
Posted Image
Click it now!

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:26 PM (#20) User is offline   smb 

• Obsessed

piranhasaurus, on Jul 14 2003, 03:51 PM, said:

True, but if given the right owner they also don't have to worry about dieing like they do in the wild. That's a plus, imo.

I understand your point nonetheless tho and see where you are coming from. I just don't agree with your argument here as far as what is cruelty. :smile:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language