Looking for suggestions - Piranha-Fury Forums - Page 2

Piranha-Fury Forums: Looking for suggestions - Piranha-Fury Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for suggestions for a small tank?

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:15 AM (#21) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Aquariums, Dirtbiking, and Drumming.

[quote name='hyphen' date='Apr 5 2005, 12:07 AM'][quote name='Tibs' date='Apr 4 2005, 08:54 PM'][quote name='hyphen' date='Apr 4 2005, 11:43 PM'][quote name='Tibs' date='Apr 4 2005, 08:19 PM'][quote name='hyphen' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:08 PM']not bichirs though will require a minimum of 60g.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

thats not true.the senegal bichir(dino eel) which i personaly own only get 12", which IMO can be in the 20L i currently have, but wit bichir fanactics say a 30 will cut it.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

are you f*cking retarded? you're the same person that keeps a black ghost knife in a 20g, you're the same person that thinks it's okay to put a clown knife in a 45 gallon hex. i'm honestly tired of you giving out horribly inaccurate housing information. NO, a full grown polypterus senegalus will not be healthy in a 20g tank. this is a 12" fish, not some f*cking guppy or cardinal tetra. not only are polypterus fairly active, but putting any 12" predator in a 20gallon is utterly ridiculous. quit going around telling people that they can put large fish into tiny ass tanks. i'm really sick of your posts. first you go around telling people that they're overstocking or overcrowding their tanks with fish that are too large. then you go and post that a potentially 3 ft clown knife is OKAY to put into a 45 gallon hex.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

the black ghost knife i returned cuz it would get to big, and i never would put a clown knife in a 45 hex, that was my parents and they had no clue they got that big. i personally never saw it(i wasnt born yet), but i wouldnt support it.u wanna argue and flame go to aquaticpreditors.com, there are sooooo many ppl there who are very dedicated to bichirs and they will tell u a 30 will cut it, i know cuz theve told me that.and juss so ya know, there has yet to be a case wit clown knives gittin 36" in aquaria, it is rare to see one over 24", and if i remember right the record is like 28". out in the wild they get lik 6foot
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

i don't know where you're getting your info from. it seems like you're pulling it from your ass. rare to see a 24" clown knife in aquaria...yet i see a 2 foot clown knife at a fish store in the san fernando valley, with a ruler taped to the bottom of the display. and there are quite a few fish keepers on waterwolves and other sites that have clown knives nearing 2 feet. and where in the f*ck did you get the ridiculous idea that clown knives grow to 6 feet in the wild? either you googled up some bullshit, or you just have no clue what the f*ck you're talking about.

but those facts aside, you're trying to throw in numbers to make it seem like it matters. you condoned your parents keeping a ck in a 45.

[quote name='Tibs']m not gunna get one even though i dont agree in ur tank sizes, my parents used to have on in a 45 high, i alredy gittin have a black ghostknife(for my 20 community tank), and i dont think there aggressive enuf for me thumb.gif[/quote]

if that's not agreeing with your parents idea of adequate housing, then i don't know what is.

here you go, since you think

[url="http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile41.html"]polypterus senegalus care sheet and tank size[/url]
[quote]48" tank[/quote]

[url="http://www.petresources.net/fish/misscel/pol_sen.html"]another link for you study[/url]
[quote]Adult Size: 12" (28.8 cm)
Temp: 75-80 F (23-26 C)
Tank: 48" (120 cm) minimum[/quote]

anyhow, i think you get the point. and the last time i checked, 60 gallon tanks were 48" in length.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

well now im not saying this is right but the info i gave u on clown knives was from TFH magazine, and at aqauticpredators.com there is ppl there that have over 50 years experience with bichirs, and they told me that a 30, which is a 36" tank would suffice.IMO i see no reason a 12" needs 48", maybe cuz its really active but with my experience with myn they arnt really that active.I think we gotta agree to disagree.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power

the world shall know true peace

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:25 AM (#22) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

when you can find me a picture of a 6 foot clown knife, or a scanned magazine article, a web article, ANYTHING that says that clown knives grow to 6 ft, i will believe you. and why would a 12" fish need a 48" tank? that's like asking why a 2 ft arowana would need a 200+ gallon tank. use your head. i see that it's pretty useless to argue with you, so i'll leave it at that.
<font color="gray">Member of the Month, March-2005</font><br />- <font color="#999999">Street Sport Brazilian Jiu Jitsu</font> - <font color="#CC0000">Team Magno </font> -

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:42 AM (#23) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery

hyphen, on Apr 5 2005, 12:25 AM, said:

when you can find me a picture of a 6 foot clown knife, or a scanned magazine article, a web article, ANYTHING that says that clown knives grow to 6 ft, i will believe you.  and why would a 12" fish need a 48" tank?  that's like asking why a 2 ft arowana would need a 200+ gallon tank.  use your head.  i see that it's pretty useless to argue with you, so i'll leave it at that.
View Post

ok i juss went and looked at the article and it said they get 4"m i guess i remebered it differntly.but i did also say that the maximum they could get in aquarium would be 28"

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:03 PM (#24) User is offline   Tinkerbelle 

• Don't f*ck with the fairy.
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 10g Freshwater Community Tank

hyphen, on Mar 23 2005, 07:13 AM, said:

K fizzly, on Mar 22 2005, 07:49 PM, said:

haha

bettas
goldfish
mollies
fancy goldfish
guppies
View Post

predatory fish, not feeders :)
View Post

hey, bettas will kill tankmates and eat them. trust me on this...  :nod:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:22 PM (#25) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

maybe it'll kill and eat weenie tankmates :rockon:
<font color="gray">Member of the Month, March-2005</font><br />- <font color="#999999">Street Sport Brazilian Jiu Jitsu</font> - <font color="#CC0000">Team Magno </font> -

Posted 14 April 2005 - 04:52 PM (#26) User is offline   piranhasrule 

• Pygocentrus nattereri

Tibs I think the reason you think sennegal birchirs are inactive is becasue they are mostly nocturnal. Mine sits around doing nothing all day and then as soon as the tank light is off he doesnt stop moving. And i do have to agree with hyphon about how you dont have a clue about tank sizes, i mean wasnt it you that thinks that 3 oscars and some plecs will be ok in a 38 gal?
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care

• Obsessed
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

Tibs, on Apr 5 2005, 12:15 AM, said:

well now im not saying this is right but the info i gave u on clown knives was from TFH magazine, and at aqauticpredators.com there is ppl there that have over 50 years experience with bichirs, and they told me that a 30, which is a 36" tank would suffice.IMO i see no reason a 12" needs 48", maybe cuz its really active but with my experience with myn they arnt really that active.I think we gotta agree to disagree.
View Post

here is what you were told

30 gallons in the absolute bare minimum, as in it can fit in there, and turn around. However, I would say nothing less than a 40 gallon breeder for an adult senegal. Also, a senegal could very likely stay in a 20 for more than 4 months, I've had my baby senegals for about 8 months, got them at about 2", and now they're only about 5", and have more than enough room. 

what he is saying is that the fish could live in it, but it would not be happy

• Obsessed

i visit AP a lot, i was wondering who has 50 years of experience with bichirs

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:51 AM (#29) User is offline   marco 

• Piranha Expert
  • Interests:piranhas

Frontosa
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:50 PM (#30) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

frontosas aren't small :cry:

• Obsessed

Would mollies work as brackish tankmates for puffers? If so that should be on the list as a complimentary fish for the brackish ones listed.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:48 AM (#32) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

:brow:

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:04 AM (#33) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

Firemouth Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 30g
Posted Image

Convict Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 20g
Posted Image

Honduran Red Point Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 20g
Posted Image

Dwarf Snakehead [channa gachua is the smallest]
Posted Image

Dwarf Pike Cichlids
Posted Image

Archer Fish [brackish]
Posted Image

African Butterfly Fish
Posted Image

Salvini Cichlid
Posted Image

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:43 AM (#34) User is offline   Mettle 

• WWTCD?
  • View gallery

How about any of the shell dwelling African cichlids?

Neolamprologus boulengeri
Neolamprologus brevis*
Neolamprologus calliurus
Neolamprologus hecqui
Neolamprologus multifasciatus*
Neolamprologus similus*
Lamprologus callipterus
Lamprologus caudopunctatus (Shell-Spawner)*
Lamprologus kungweensis
Lamprologus meleagris*
Lamprologus occelatus*
Lamprologus ornatipinnis*
Lamprologus signatus*
Lamprologus speciosus*

*denotes types suitable for tanks as small as 10 gallons.

(list taken from here)

Also... Neolamprologus brichardi?
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Member of the Month, August/September 2007.
Posted Image Picture of the Month, October 2008.
Posted Image Picture of the Month, March 2009.

• Pygocentrus piraya

Good stuff. Needs some cleaning up before pinning though.

Also, that isn't a kribensis in the first set of pics, I think it's a Julidochromis (or other Tanganyikan)

• Pygocentrus piraya

Also, non-p doesn't have to be limited to serious predators. Brief mention of bettas/poeciliids/etc doesn't hurt. Many of them have complex behavior worth watching.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:50 PM (#37) User is offline   Mettle 

• WWTCD?
  • View gallery

Did someone already mention paradise fish, then?

Even some gouramis can be quite aggressive if you watch them.

Heck... I've seen flying foxes attack and kill other fish.
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Member of the Month, August/September 2007.
Posted Image Picture of the Month, October 2008.
Posted Image Picture of the Month, March 2009.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:39 AM (#38) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

okay, i think it's organized...any other fish suggestions will be thrown in  :rasp:

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:03 AM (#39) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery

what about exodons? also these arnt predatory but spiney eels are really kick ass, and some of the smaller species would be ok

• Pygocentrus piraya

Pinned :blink:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox