Looking for suggestions - Piranha-Fury Forums

Piranha-Fury Forums: Looking for suggestions - Piranha-Fury Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for suggestions for a small tank?

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:01 AM (#1) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

Then look no further! I see a lot of threads with people asking for suggestions on what to stock their smaller tanks with [<55g]. So let's have a thread dedicated to that...suggestions. Since I don't have the time to write caresheets for all of these fish, you'll have to find those yourself. All of the below mentioned fish can go into a tank smaller than 55 gallons, some require no more than 10 gallons, some require 20. Also keep in mind that not all of these can be mixed and matched. Some are highly predatory, some are very aggressive. It's up to you to research the fish, I'm just giving a list of what's possible.

-Centerpiece Fish-

Target Puffer
Arrowhead Puffer
Figure 8 Puffer [brackish]
Green Spotted Puffer [brackish]
Dwarf Puffer

Leaf fish
Dwarf Snakehead [channa gachua is the smallest]
Archer Fish [brackish]
African Butterfly Fish
hujeta gars

Any Apistogramma species
Any Kribensis species
Firemouth Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 30g
Convict Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 20g
Honduran Red Point Cichlid - 1 breeding pair per 20g
Dwarf Pike Cichlids
Salvini Cichlid

Shell-Dwelling African Cichlids

---Neolamprologus boulengeri
---Neolamprologus brevis*
---Neolamprologus calliurus
---Neolamprologus hecqui
---Neolamprologus multifasciatus*
---Neolamprologus similus*
---Lamprologus callipterus
---Lamprologus caudopunctatus (Shell-Spawner)*
---Lamprologus kungweensis
---Lamprologus meleagris*
---Lamprologus occelatus*
---Lamprologus ornatipinnis*
---Lamprologus signatus*
---Lamprologus speciosus*

-Bottom Dwellers-
- Loricarids (Suckermouth Catfish) of any subfamily, that grow no bigger than 8-10" (given you consider anything up to 55g small);
- Doradids (Raphael/Thorny Catfish) that grow to 8-10" at most;
- Corydoras and Brochis spp.;
- Loaches that grow to 6-8" at most;

-Complimentary/Dither/Target Fish-
Tiger Barbs
Green Barbs
Zebra Danios
Giant Danios
Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Congo Tetras
Mollies Brackish

Please feel free to add to the list.

This post has been edited by hyphen: 05 October 2005 - 06:46 AM

<font color="gray">Member of the Month, March-2005</font><br />- <font color="#999999">Street Sport Brazilian Jiu Jitsu</font> - <font color="#CC0000">Team Magno </font> -

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:17 AM (#2) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Aquariums, Dirtbiking, and Drumming.

yo what are dwarf pike cichlids?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power

the world shall know true peace

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:52 AM (#3) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

yo, they're pikes, but dwarves.

Posted Image
Posted Image
<font color="gray">Member of the Month, March-2005</font><br />- <font color="#999999">Street Sport Brazilian Jiu Jitsu</font> - <font color="#CC0000">Team Magno </font> -

• Obsessed
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

great idea hyphen. i say we make a huge list then pin it

• Pygocentrus cariba

plecos
salvinis
rams
?

This post has been edited by K fizzly: 22 March 2005 - 08:28 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:49 PM (#6) User is offline   MR.FREEZ 

• DOC#003162
  • Interests:(.)(.)'s

good ideal hyphen, just before the profile comp i was working on doing profile for smaller fish that would

fit these small tank, ill use your list once its over to continue

i did the zebra danio, harliquin , glow light tetra, bloodfin tetra, and congo tetra

This post has been edited by MR.FREEZ: 22 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

• Pygocentrus cariba

haha

bettas
goldfish
mollies
fancy goldfish
guppies

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:13 AM (#8) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

K fizzly, on Mar 22 2005, 07:49 PM, said:

haha

bettas
goldfish
mollies
fancy goldfish
guppies
View Post

predatory fish, not feeders :lmao:

• Obsessed

Great plan w/ this thread. I am adding silica sand to my 30 gallon and will begin the cycling tonight. I was wondering about those dwarf pike - how many can I put in a 30 gal. for life? Do they do well in a planted tank? would they be ok w/ a school of tetras?

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:37 PM (#10) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

piranhaqueen, on Mar 23 2005, 07:05 AM, said:

Great plan w/ this thread.  I am adding silica sand to my 30 gallon and will begin the cycling tonight.  I was wondering about those dwarf pike - how many can I put in a 30 gal. for life?  Do they do well in a planted tank?  would they be ok w/ a school of tetras?
View Post

Depends on what species. Some you can only fit one in there, others you can fit 3 or 4. I'm not too familiar with dwarf pikes, but I'm sure you could find a list of suitable dwarf pikes on cichlidmadness or tangledupincichlids.com

As for living with tetras, it might work. The planted tank may not do so well. I don't think the pikes dig as much as other sa cichlids. But you can always give it a go.

• Captivated
  • View gallery

nice list hypen.  :nod:

gives people with some smaller or extra tanks some good ideas. Myself included.

• Obsessed

how about an african butterfly fish? Also, most bichirs, right?

This post has been edited by jamesdelanoche: 24 March 2005 - 06:32 AM

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:08 PM (#13) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

butterfly fish is a good one. not bichirs though will require a minimum of 60g.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:18 PM (#14) User is offline   MR.FREEZ 

• DOC#003162
  • Interests:(.)(.)'s

update your list as you get em so i dont have to scroll down  :rasp:

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:33 AM (#15) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

haha, alright

• Obsessed

"Looking for suggestions, for a small tank?"

A BIGGER TANK!
lol

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:19 PM (#17) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery

hyphen, on Mar 24 2005, 05:08 PM, said:

not bichirs though will require a minimum of 60g.
View Post

thats not true.the senegal bichir(dino eel) which i personaly own only get 12", which IMO can be in the 20L i currently have, but wit bichir fanactics say a 30 will cut it.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:43 PM (#18) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

Tibs, on Apr 4 2005, 08:19 PM, said:

View Post

thats not true.the senegal bichir(dino eel) which i personaly own only get 12", which IMO can be in the 20L i currently have, but wit bichir fanactics say a 30 will cut it.
View Post

are you f*cking retarded? you're the same person that keeps a black ghost knife in a 20g, you're the same person that thinks it's okay to put a clown knife in a 45 gallon hex. i'm honestly tired of you giving out horribly inaccurate housing information. NO, a full grown polypterus senegalus will not be healthy in a 20g tank. this is a 12" fish, not some f*cking guppy or cardinal tetra. not only are polypterus fairly active, but putting any 12" predator in a 20gallon is utterly ridiculous. quit going around telling people that they can put large fish into tiny ass tanks. i'm really sick of your posts. first you go around telling people that they're overstocking or overcrowding their tanks with fish that are too large. then you go and post that a potentially 3 ft clown knife is OKAY to put into a 45 gallon hex.

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:54 PM (#19) User is offline   benJii 

• ^word
  • View gallery

hyphen, on Apr 4 2005, 11:43 PM, said:

Tibs, on Apr 4 2005, 08:19 PM, said:

View Post

View Post

are you f*cking retarded? you're the same person that keeps a black ghost knife in a 20g, you're the same person that thinks it's okay to put a clown knife in a 45 gallon hex. i'm honestly tired of you giving out horribly inaccurate housing information. NO, a full grown polypterus senegalus will not be healthy in a 20g tank. this is a 12" fish, not some f*cking guppy or cardinal tetra. not only are polypterus fairly active, but putting any 12" predator in a 20gallon is utterly ridiculous. quit going around telling people that they can put large fish into tiny ass tanks. i'm really sick of your posts. first you go around telling people that they're overstocking or overcrowding their tanks with fish that are too large. then you go and post that a potentially 3 ft clown knife is OKAY to put into a 45 gallon hex.
View Post

the black ghost knife i returned cuz it would get to big, and i never would put a clown knife in a 45 hex, that was my parents and they had no clue they got that big. i personally never saw it(i wasnt born yet), but i wouldnt support it.u wanna argue and flame go to aquaticpreditors.com, there are sooooo many ppl there who are very dedicated to bichirs and they will tell u a 30 will cut it, i know cuz theve told me that.and juss so ya know, there has yet to be a case wit clown knives gittin 36" in aquaria, it is rare to see one over 24", and if i remember right the record is like 28". out in the wild they get lik 6foot

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:07 AM (#20) User is offline   hyphen 

• tap or snap
  • View gallery

[quote name='Tibs' date='Apr 4 2005, 08:54 PM'][quote name='hyphen' date='Apr 4 2005, 11:43 PM'][quote name='Tibs' date='Apr 4 2005, 08:19 PM'][quote name='hyphen' date='Mar 24 2005, 05:08 PM']not bichirs though will require a minimum of 60g.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

the black ghost knife i returned cuz it would get to big, and i never would put a clown knife in a 45 hex, that was my parents and they had no clue they got that big. i personally never saw it(i wasnt born yet), but i wouldnt support it.u wanna argue and flame go to aquaticpreditors.com, there are sooooo many ppl there who are very dedicated to bichirs and they will tell u a 30 will cut it, i know cuz theve told me that.and juss so ya know, there has yet to be a case wit clown knives gittin 36" in aquaria, it is rare to see one over 24", and if i remember right the record is like 28". out in the wild they get lik 6foot
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

i don't know where you're getting your info from. it seems like you're pulling it from your ass. rare to see a 24" clown knife in aquaria...yet i see a 2 foot clown knife at a fish store in the san fernando valley, with a ruler taped to the bottom of the display. and there are quite a few fish keepers on waterwolves and other sites that have clown knives nearing 2 feet. and where in the f*ck did you get the ridiculous idea that clown knives grow to 6 feet in the wild? either you googled up some bullshit, or you just have no clue what the f*ck you're talking about.

but those facts aside, you're trying to throw in numbers to make it seem like it matters. you condoned your parents keeping a ck in a 45.

[quote name='Tibs']m not gunna get one even though i dont agree in ur tank sizes, my parents used to have on in a 45 high, i alredy gittin have a black ghostknife(for my 20 community tank), and i dont think there aggressive enuf for me thumb.gif[/quote]

if that's not agreeing with your parents idea of adequate housing, then i don't know what is.

here you go, since you think

[url="http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile41.html"]polypterus senegalus care sheet and tank size[/url]
[quote]48" tank[/quote]

[url="http://www.petresources.net/fish/misscel/pol_sen.html"]another link for you study[/url]
[quote]Adult Size: 12" (28.8 cm)
Temp: 75-80 F (23-26 C)
Tank: 48" (120 cm) minimum[/quote]

anyhow, i think you get the point. and the last time i checked, 60 gallon tanks were 48" in length.

This post has been edited by hyphen: 05 April 2005 - 12:08 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language