\/ you can see were the common name firemouth came from here

Gordeez's fish /\

Scientific name: Thorichthys Meeki
Common name: Firemouth Cichlid
Genus: Thorichthys
Order: Perciformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Cichlidae
Origin: Guatemala and Yucatan, Central America.

Tank setup and Equipment: Lots of rocks and driftwood to hide out around. If you want to use plants, keep them in the pot unless they are already well established, fire mouths like lots of cichlids like to uproot plants but will do it more so while breeding. But don't over do the decor so you can leave plenty of open water for swimming and display. Fire mouths like fine substrate were they can search for food.
Good filtration and a heater to keep temps stable. No power head is really needed, fire mouths are found is slower water.

Minimum Tank Size: For one 20 gal, with a pair or other tank mates 29 or larger.

Water Type: Fresh, 74*f to 80*f, pH 6.5-8.5, dH 5-10

Temperament: Rather docile for a cichlid, will become more aggressive during breeding. When the male Firemouth is threaten or becomes aggressive they can flare their gills to show black spots on their gills to look bigger to other fish and try to intimidate them.

Compatibility: Lots of different types of tetras, barbs, but nothing small enough to eat, and other cichlids of the same size and temperament.

Size: 6"

Sexual dimorphism: Male, brighter colors and brighter reddish coloring on the throat, anal and dorsal fins more pointed and stretched out to the tail.
Females, colors a bit more dull, fins shorter and rounder.

Breeding: Males will set up a territory and do a little breeding dance with some gill flaring to try and attract a female. Once they pair up they'll clean and area around a rock or flower pot and the female will lay 100 to 500 eggs. The female will fan the eggs while the male guards them. Firemouths will make good parents and guard the fry. A few small dither fish might make for some cool displays from the male.

Feeding: Omnivores, will eat flakes, pellets, krill, frozen blood worms, you could try a variety of things

Other Info: A nice fish for the beginner in keeping cichlids cause of the size of the fish and the rather small size of tank you need to keep one. They also have tons of personality and are just a beautiful fish to look at.

References
some good info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info

See less See more
#11 ·
if your going to get a breeding pair .watch out for your pleco. i had a pair of rainbows that breed and my pleco eat all the eggs.

#12 ·
i have a firemouth with a jack, both around the same size. the firemouth in my opinion is a much better fish to have. tons of activity. a firemouth was actually my first fish when i was a kid. i was throwing the idea around of actually getting my firemouth a mate and getting rid of the jack.
i love that jack though, it would be hard, but i wouldnt mind seeing 2 firemouths. theyre docile indeed, but they still have some good cichlid qualities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.