Piranha-Fury Forums: Innes' guide to buying fish - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Innes' guide to buying fish

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:07 AM (#1) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man
  • Group: Senior Member

Over my time as being a fishkeeper I have bought many fish and got home to find that they die, or eat each other, or I just don't like them.

I have a few tips to reduce this negative feeling.

*Firstly before you go you should think what you want, so you have a good idea of species you are looking for

*Don't impulse buy!!! - I know we all do it, but you shouldn't, I have a few species in my head were I know that if I see one I will buy it, this is not impulse buying despite the fact you may not have been expecting to buy that species, as you have already thought it through.
if you do impulse buy I guarantee that you will end up with a fish you dislike enough to want in your tank, or a fish which is totally unsuitable for your tank conditions or tankmates.
If you do see a fish you quite like you can always go home, log on PFury and ask about it, get some info on the species and buy it the next day.

*Look for illness in the shops tanks - and not just in the tanks you buy from, in many cases you will see tanks with not for sale signs, this is OK as it shows the shop is aware of the problem and are trying to solve it, but if they don't know of the illnesses they are likely to cross-contaminate it into other tanks and perhaps that tank with the fish you want

*ask for details of the fish you want to buy - ask things like scientific name (so you can look it up), when did it arrive in the shop? (do not buy new arrivals as they will be stressed and likely to die within days), water conditions (you may be asking about a species that is sometimes freshwater, but sometimes brackish - so it is a good idea to ask), size of the fish (do not buy any fish that you cannot keep at full size)

*carry them in their own bags - some shops would be happy to send you home with a betta in the same bag as some neon tetras - ask for separate bags for each species, and if you think it is necessary for each fish

*keep the bags covered - keep the bags with the fish in covered with a paper bag of something as this will reduce the stress on the fish

*Quarantine the fish - do not add them straight to your tank, give them a week or two on their own in a quarantine tank if possible to prevent infection into your main tank - if any die, extend the quarantine period

*adjust the temperature - float the bags of fish in your tank for 20 mins so that the water matches that in your tank when you release the fish

*do a water change before you add your new fish (even if this is before you go to the shop) so that you know that your water is good

*add plants so that any new fish have places to hide and feel safe

*always think of every species of fish you own as compatibility is very important - even now I sometimes get this wrong - last week I added an angelfish to a tyre-track eel and the angelfish was killed straight away with nothing I could do for it, so remember how big your fish are, and how small the shops fish are (in shops they look bigger than they really are because they are in small tanks and all the other fish in shops are small)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageMember of the Month, March 2003
Posted ImageMember of the Month, April 2004

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

Great info, Innes, thanks for posting :maaad:

Unfortunately, most of the time I already get stranded at point 2 (don't impulse buy...)......  :laugh: :brow: :rockon:

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:59 AM (#3) User is offline   piranha45 

• reasonably awesome
  • Group: Members

haha, yeah impulse buy is a real kicker for me too  :rasp:

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:39 PM (#4) User is offline   RhomZilla 

• I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Avatar!!
  • Interests:Your MOM!!!
  • Current Piranhas: OH EMM GEE !!!!! I don't have any fish!!! =***(

Yeah, the impulsive buying part made me look no further.
But great info Innes!!!!  :rasp:
Posted ImagePosted Image
I AM THE BEST BECAUSE
I RUN WITH THE
BEST

Posted 16 May 2003 - 12:41 PM (#5) User is offline   thePACK 

• 5 TIME CHAMPS
  • Interests:"I love cats...they taste just like chicken"
  • Current Piranhas: i came to chew bubble-gum and kick A$$ and i'm all out of bubble-gum!!

greta job innes....impulse always kills me.  :rasp:
Posted Image
-I NEVER BRAG HOW REAL I KEEP IT, ONLY WHEN I'M ON THE INTERNET-
[/quote]

Posted 16 May 2003 - 01:39 PM (#6) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man

impulse buying is the worst of all - as we all do it, and it is always the reason we all have some sh*t little fish like lemon tetras or sissortails or almost any kind of rasbora for that matter.

I would only reccomend you even consider impulse buying once you know about fish and how compatable the particular species are with what you have already - otherwise NEVER IMPULSE BUY!!!

• Psychotic

nice stuff Innes  :laugh:

• Captivated

bah, too many rules.. hobbies are supposed to be fun.. not tedious and agonizing.

if you have a 10gal, and impulse buy an oscar, good reason to buy a bigger tank :middle:

i have never quarantined my fish, never had any probs.

why does it matter if you seperate spieces on the way home if they are all going into the same tank eventually anyway.

meh, i just think this is going a little extreme.

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:44 PM (#9) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man

OK if that is your opinion, but I have seen swordtails and mollies eat the eyes of tetras that they were put in the same bag as.

These are not rules, but guidelines and you may or may not follow them - its up to you.

After all what do I know?

Posted 17 May 2003 - 01:27 AM (#10) User is offline   NIKE 

• rhombeus

awesome info innes :bowdown: i do impulse buying on fish food also sheesh  :laugh:  :laugh: love that avatar :thumbup:

This post has been edited by NIKE: 17 May 2003 - 01:30 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image Ideas are invented only as correctives to the past. Through repeated rectification of this kind one may hope to disengage an idea that is valid.
Gaston Bachelard

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:34 AM (#11) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man

Thanks - the avatar was inspired by mt Canadian friend Snowcichlid, and that is also why I am appearing as canadian even though I'm in England and have never been to Canada - that and my flag is not an option on PFury........yet

• Captivated

cool stuff u've got. helps a lot =D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users