So I Just Bought A Bag Of Massivore Delite - Piranha-Fury Forums

Piranha-Fury Forums: So I Just Bought A Bag Of Massivore Delite - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So I Just Bought A Bag Of Massivore Delite Rate Topic: -----

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:13 PM (#1) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested
  • Group: Members

what are the chances I can get my RBP's to take to this stuff? any tips from those experienced? I'd like to try this as their staple diet .. they are in the 5" range and have grown up primarily on frozen shrimp, spearing, and earthworms

I tossed one of the pellets in the tank today, they completely ignored it ..I read starve them and stay persistent ..as in every other day or so toss a couple in until they start consistently eating them?

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:19 PM (#2) User is offline   Ęgir 

• View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

Things that worked for me: start training them to accept shrimp / current food from the surface. You can use a needle and fine thread to suspend the whole shrimp and slowly raise it each time you feed. If they get a piece of the thread, not a big deal. Once you get close to the surface, start stuffing the shrimp with a few pellets.

You can also pre soak the pellets so they sink a little, but I have found that can make a mess if they get too soft and break apart. As always, remove any food after 10 or so minutes.

They are naturally afraid of the surface, because thats where most predators exist in the wild. It can take some time / work but it can be done.
Posted Image

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:32 PM (#3) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

View PostĘgir, on 30 January 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Things that worked for me: start training them to accept shrimp / current food from the surface. You can use a needle and fine thread to suspend the whole shrimp and slowly raise it each time you feed. If they get a piece of the thread, not a big deal. Once you get close to the surface, start stuffing the shrimp with a few pellets.

You can also pre soak the pellets so they sink a little, but I have found that can make a mess if they get too soft and break apart. As always, remove any food after 10 or so minutes.

They are naturally afraid of the surface, because thats where most predators exist in the wild. It can take some time / work but it can be done.

appreciate your knowledge !!

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:11 PM (#4) User is offline   Ęgir 

• View gallery

No problem, and good luck... it might take weeks or months but it is definitely possible.

You might also try some standard flake food, some kinda sinks and some floats for longer. That is how I taught my Rhom to accept floating food.
Posted Image

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:48 PM (#5) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

View PostÆgir, on 30 January 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

No problem, and good luck... it might take weeks or months but it is definitely possible.

You might also try some standard flake food, some kinda sinks and some floats for longer. That is how I taught my Rhom to accept floating food.

alright so it turns out these are sinking pellets ..this is day 2 of no food so I tossed a couple in and they sunk right down, the P's swam over took a look and bolted ..where normally here if this was spearing or shrimp they would have destroyed it ..so obviously this is going to take some time

any ideas for success? don't feed anything else no matter how long it takes? try every day or every other? at what point should I be concerned about cannibalism should this turn out to be an extended period of time? they've never displayed that kind of behavior and obviously haven't yet during these couple days

This post has been edited by SillyGoose: 31 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:50 PM (#6) User is offline   Ęgir 

• View gallery

I would just wait 2 or 3 days... then try again. After that you could do every other day. It could take up to 2 weeks, even more. My big Rhom might not eat for 3 weeks after moving his tank. They arent going to starve themselves to death, and will eventually realize it as a food source.

Keep an eye out for aggression and play it day by day. Like I said maybe stuff a few shrimp with the pellets and introduce them that way.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:20 PM (#7) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

View PostĘgir, on 31 January 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

I would just wait 2 or 3 days... then try again. After that you could do every other day. It could take up to 2 weeks, even more. My big Rhom might not eat for 3 weeks after moving his tank. They arent going to starve themselves to death, and will eventually realize it as a food source.

Keep an eye out for aggression and play it day by day. Like I said maybe stuff a few shrimp with the pellets and introduce them that way.

got it ..

maybe I'll blog up the experience in this thread ..could be useful to someone

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:08 PM (#8) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

day 3 this is the longest I've gone w/out feeding the P's ..tossed a couple of these in (about the size and shape of an algae wafer), they initially darted over to check them out but that was about it ..gave them some attention, but ultimately snubbed ..scooped out both untouched wafers about 15 min later ..def showed more interest today

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:13 PM (#9) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

days 4 and 5 ..P's showing zero interest nada, I've tried a couple pellets each day and they go untouched ..feel bad I want to feed them but gonna hold out ..no real added aggression yet that I can see

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:19 PM (#10) User is offline   Ęgir 

• View gallery

I wonder if you tried a different brand of pellet? My fish have always loved the Hikari in the red bag
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:22 PM (#11) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

View PostÆgir, on 03 February 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

I wonder if you tried a different brand of pellet? My fish have always loved the Hikari in the red bag

yeah I actually have those for my Cichlid tank ..but they float so I'd have to introduce those the way you described ..on day 6 of no food now and still no interest for these pellets ..might give in tomorrow and hook them up w/ some shrimp ..dunno

View PostÆgir, on 31 January 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Like I said maybe stuff a few shrimp with the pellets and introduce them that way.

or maybe I'll do this

This post has been edited by SillyGoose: 04 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:11 PM (#12) User is offline   SillyGoose 

• Interested

in conclusion here I ended up stuffing medium size Hikari Gold pellets in cut up shrimp and it's working out very well ..very high rate of pellet consumption achieved when stuffed into bite size pieces

their nutrition has been improved while still munching down on the shrimp they love ..I'm happy and they're happy

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language