Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red Wants To Breed

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:28 PM (#1) User is offline   uhjkool 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

So I have a 220gal with 11 reds varying from 4-6 inches. I have raised all the reds together since they were about 1-2 inches. I now have one of the smaller ones that has become extremely territorial and gotten very dark. This is clearly a sign of breeding but where's his mate? He wont let any of the other reds come near or he chases them off. If one refuses to leave an all out fight breaks out. Is there anything I should do or do I just sit back and be patient? Thanks!

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:07 AM (#2) User is offline   Sanchezi 

• Infatuated
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Keeping Piranha fish since 1979, Reading, Hiking, exercising and spending time with my family
  • Current Piranhas: 1 Serrasalmus rhombeus

with a 220 Gallon fish tank...it is fair to say that you have the luxury of sitting back and being patient...also male red bellies will do this to show his dominance and strength...and this will bring a female to breeding state, and once that happens he will let her in to breed -- very natural
Be respectful, as we are all in this together.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:09 PM (#3) User is offline   uhjkool 

• Addicted
  • View gallery

View PostSanchezi, on 04 March 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

with a 220 Gallon fish tank...it is fair to say that you have the luxury of sitting back and being patient...also male red bellies will do this to show his dominance and strength...and this will bring a female to breeding state, and once that happens he will let her in to breed -- very natural

Thanks for the input! If I do get a pair can I let them breed with the others in the tank? Or should I be removing the other piranhas? If I do remove the other piranhas can I let the pair do all the work for the babies and just raise the babies in the same tank? Sorry a lot of questions.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:28 AM (#4) User is offline   Sanchezi 

• Infatuated
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Keeping Piranha fish since 1979, Reading, Hiking, exercising and spending time with my family

It is your tank and fish..so in actuality you can do what you want...But if it were me i would leave them to breed naturally with the other piranhas left in the tank...nothing is more stressful to a fish then being chased and removed from their homes...i would let the potential breeding pair protect the eggs/fry naturally...and when they are a bit bigger you can move some of the babies to a 20 gallon and try to raise them until they get to about an inch and then you can try to sell or keep....but as you know young piranha need a lot of growing space..so it is best to sell.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:41 PM (#5) User is offline   uhjkool 

• Addicted
  • View gallery

View PostSanchezi, on 05 March 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

It is your tank and fish..so in actuality you can do what you want...But if it were me i would leave them to breed naturally with the other piranhas left in the tank...nothing is more stressful to a fish then being chased and removed from their homes...i would let the potential breeding pair protect the eggs/fry naturally...and when they are a bit bigger you can move some of the babies to a 20 gallon and try to raise them until they get to about an inch and then you can try to sell or keep....but as you know young piranha need a lot of growing space..so it is best to sell.

Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. That is much less work for me. :gringringrin:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:56 AM (#6) User is offline   Sanchezi 

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

Did your reds ever breed?

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:26 PM (#7) User is offline   uhjkool 

• Addicted
  • View gallery

View PostSanchezi, on 22 March 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

Did your reds ever breed?

Not yet. I have three of them that are a little darker than the rest now and are very territorial. However no breeding. If I was to guess I would say the three darker ones are all males simply due to the fact that they are pretty slender compared to some of the others that are very plump. Especially after eating.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language