Piranha-Fury Forums: Max Length Vs Growth Rate - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Max Length Vs Growth Rate is there a connection Rate Topic: -----

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:45 AM (#1) User is offline   RiptideRush 

• Infatuated
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tankbusters, iron sights and reticles, chirpin third, the pugilistic sweet science.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever raised and grown MULTIPLE baby serras from the same collection point/batch, the same starting size, and at the same time. I understand that baby serras, unless they are collected somewhere else, will almost certainly be a Compo, a Sancho, or a Rambo. I also understand that these three have different MAX lengths as adults. My question is, does this mean that these three serras have different growth rates? With Rhoms having the bigger max, would a baby Rhom take off and dust a baby Sanchezi and Compressus to 3-4 inches? Assuming great tank conditions, would they reach max lengths at the same or different time? Is there a FURION who has done this and witnessed these growths? I didn't find an answer on the O.P.E.F.G.H.I.J.K website.
When I have bad days I look at my fish tanks and think," God forgot to do my water change"

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:47 AM (#2) User is offline   0S1R1S 

• Fanatic
  • Interests:Information Technology
  • Current Piranhas: (6x) 3-5" Nattereri - 2" Peruvian Serra

Even if you did have three different babies in the same pristine water conditions and same feeding routine, their growth would not only depends on the species, but on the genes of that species. I imagine if you knew you had 3 rhom's they would still grow at different rates.
Posted Image

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:01 AM (#3) User is offline   Johnny_Zanni 

• Not Suspended.
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 1 wild and 5 domestic pygocentrus nattereri, 1 Serrasalmus Sanchezi, 1 Serrasalmus Serrulatus.

Sanchezi, Compressus and Rhombeus all get to around 4-5" in the same time frame. The sanchezi will most likely reach 6" before the rhombeus, im not sure about compressus.

Max length on any piranha is unlimited. They are bony fish and keep growing till they die. Realisticly though its probly 10" for the rhom and comp and 6" for the sanchezi.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:05 AM (#4) User is offline   FEEFA 

• Fish Whisperer
  • Current Piranhas: NONE!

I dont know zanni, I would think that the rhom would hit 6in before the sanchezi???
Posted Image Member of the Month, Oct 2010
Posted Image Member of the Month, July 2009
Posted Image Non-Piranha Picture of the Month, August 2008
Posted Image

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:10 AM (#5) User is offline   Johnny_Zanni 

• Not Suspended.
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 1 wild and 5 domestic pygocentrus nattereri, 1 Serrasalmus Sanchezi, 1 Serrasalmus Serrulatus.

Yes your right. Typo on my part. The sanchezi will slow at around 4" whereas a rhom will slow at around 6". Thanks Feefa.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:12 AM (#6) User is offline   CLUSTER ONE 

• Serrasalmus rhombeus
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Current Piranhas: S. elongatus, S. sanchezi. P. nattereri

View PostFEEFA, on 01 March 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

I dont know zanni, I would think that the rhom would hit 6in before the sanchezi???

I agree. A rhom can hit 6" in a year. It will take a sancehzi a couple years from the same baby size.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-15g Mantis Shrimp reef with 10g sump
-Avicularia versicolor 0.1.0 - Lasiodora parahybana 0.1.0
- Pogona vitticeps 0.1.0

Posted ImageMOTM Febuaray 2010
Posted ImageNPOTM April 2010

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:49 AM (#7) User is offline   jp80911 

• Psychotic
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: Serrasalmus, Pygocentrus

hasn't any member here documented the growth rate from baby? start from like 1" or smaller?

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:51 PM (#8) User is offline   RiptideRush 

• Infatuated
  • Interests:Tankbusters, iron sights and reticles, chirpin third, the pugilistic sweet science.

View Post0S1R1S, on 01 March 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

Even if you did have three different babies in the same pristine water conditions and same feeding routine, their growth would not only depends on the species, but on the genes of that species. I imagine if you knew you had 3 rhom's they would still grow at different rates.

I agree with this. There's a big difference between Jackie Chan and Yao Ming. But I'm wondering if anyone has seen the "big three" grow at the same time and can say that there's a difference.
When I have bad days I look at my fish tanks and think," God forgot to do my water change"

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:00 PM (#9) User is offline   RiptideRush 

• Infatuated

View PostCLUSTER ONE, on 01 March 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostFEEFA, on 01 March 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

I agree. A rhom can hit 6" in a year. It will take a sancehzi a couple years from the same baby size.

X2 This is what I'm assuming.
I once grew 3 serras from 1" and it took a year and a half, almost 2, for the three to hit a little more than 4". They all ID as Sanchezi.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:38 PM (#10) User is offline   CLUSTER ONE 

• Serrasalmus rhombeus
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Current Piranhas: S. elongatus, S. sanchezi. P. nattereri

my sanchezi isn't even 6" yet and i have had him for almost 3 years i think
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-15g Mantis Shrimp reef with 10g sump
-Avicularia versicolor 0.1.0 - Lasiodora parahybana 0.1.0
- Pogona vitticeps 0.1.0

Posted ImageMOTM Febuaray 2010
Posted ImageNPOTM April 2010

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:40 PM (#11) User is offline   RiptideRush 

• Infatuated

View PostJohnny_Zanni, on 01 March 2011 - 11:01 AM, said:

Sanchezi, Compressus and Rhombeus all get to around 4-5" in the same time frame. The sanchezi will most likely reach 6" before the rhombeus, im not sure about compressus.

Max length on any piranha is unlimited. They are bony fish and keep growing till they die. Realisticly though its probly 10" for the rhom and comp and 6" for the sanchezi.

Are you certain that the three will reach 4-5" at the same time? Was your sanchezi grown from 1-1.5" to 4-5" in less than a year? My sanchezis took quite some time to reach this size in a 55 gal. I know your keeping one now, taking great care and keeping a close eye on them. Was this the case with yours?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language