Piranha-Fury Forums: Peacock Bass - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Peacock Bass Rate Topic: -----

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:19 AM (#1) User is offline   andymellon4 

• Infatuated
  • Group: Members

I was thinking about starting a new community or attempt one......I was trying for a managunese and a oscar and a greenterror and a jack dempsey

Would a peacock bass fit in or any kind of common bass (size wise ofcourse and i know they get huge

and yes i need an awful large tank......also what is the requirement for peacock basses

Thank you

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:46 AM (#2) User is offline   Tensa 

• King of CoHab

peacock bass are pretty aggressive eaters. they also grow incredibly fast even when compared to a oscar. the biggest concern with that mix in my opinion is anything placed in the tank with a peacock bass will become food size within a couple months if your growing them out together like you most likely would have to. peacock bass will try to eat just about anything that moves that is their size or smaller. and if the other fish are too much larger then the peacocks that will cause a issue too.
Posted Image Member of the Month, October 2008 Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:39 AM (#3) User is offline   Avatar~God 

• Pygocentrus nattereri

View PostAS fan, on Mar 16 2010, 06:46 AM, said:

peacock bass are pretty aggressive eaters. they also grow incredibly fast even when compared to a oscar. the biggest concern with that mix in my opinion is anything placed in the tank with a peacock bass will become food size within a couple months if your growing them out together like you most likely would have to. peacock bass will try to eat just about anything that moves that is their size or smaller. and if the other fish are too much larger then the peacocks that will cause a issue too.

Yep I have to agree

I'm not sure on the size of your set up but one of my buddies had three of these guys in with a redtail cat. Redtails grow VERY quick, so they made out to be decent tank mates. I wouldnt keep the fish you named off with the peacocks.
Posted Image

"Thats halarious. The new Headline for Playboy.......Blowjobs, a selfish mans love. -Puddjuice "

View PostFrom Oct 16 2009, 03:20 PM:

"if dog female wouldnt give,dog male wouldnt take"

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:11 AM (#4) User is offline   andymellon4 

• Infatuated

yeah thats kinda what i though but i was hoping i was wrong......any other cool suggestions?

I heard wolf fish are cool but i honestly know little about them

This post has been edited by andymellon4: 16 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:55 AM (#5) User is offline   roccov12345 

• Obsessed

View Postandymellon4, on Mar 16 2010, 11:11 AM, said:

yeah thats kinda what i though but i was hoping i was wrong......any other cool suggestions?

I posted a neat predatory video of peacock bass a while ago. Let me see if I can dig it up....
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:26 PM (#6) User is offline   Avatar~God 

• Pygocentrus nattereri

View Postandymellon4, on Mar 16 2010, 03:11 PM, said:

Are you trying to find fish to put in with the ones you named above? Wolf fish cant be put with these guys either, wolf fish will most likely eat them within time, but I have seen it done before in a large tank. What size tank do you have?
Posted Image

"Thats halarious. The new Headline for Playboy.......Blowjobs, a selfish mans love. -Puddjuice "

View PostFrom Oct 16 2009, 03:20 PM:

"if dog female wouldnt give,dog male wouldnt take"

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:06 AM (#7) User is offline   wrenchaholic 

• Interested

I have a 14 inch butterfly peacock i caught when it was small at a local lake. over the 4 years ive had it, not any store bought fish survive without being eaten or stressed to death by the peacock. a few large bottom fish made it and a few larger cichlids like oscars and jags and devils.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:49 PM (#8) User is offline   scent troll 

• CPUSA
  • Group: Banned

^ thats awesome
peacocks are really amazing cichlids. pretty much any bass holds true to this rule of thumb. "if it fits in my mouth, its dinner"

and as stated above the peacocks really grow fast. so even if purchased at a similar size as other fish it can and will outgrow them and over take the tank. but for those of us who manage to keep one...what a great predator to own. truly a perfect fish in my opinion.
Pfury changes forever 7/8/16
#revolution

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language