• You cannot reply to this topic

10 gallon starter tank lots of corals

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:03 PM (#21) Guest_Mr. Lahey_*

• Group: Guests

PGD! where have you been?

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:59 PM (#22) Guest_Mr. Lahey_*

• Group: Guests

View PostHis Majesty, on 10 January 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

this is all interesting info. im liking it. its just that ive always been a fan of trying to run a self sufficient tank with minimal use of skimmer or filter. but it does to prove a difficult task especially in the long term for larger tanks
i am aware that everyone has had different experiences. and what something works for one person may not work aswell for another.
another option is of course coming up with a well desgined sump but oddly enough i would choose a skimmer over sump.
what works well for small tanks doesnt usally wok so well with larger tanks.

more thought needs to be put into this.

By the way Majesty,

if you want to have something simple, with minimal effort needed to run, just got softies with few fish. Mine actually did much better before I added skimmer. Stay away from SPS though.

And there is no such thing as a self sustaining tank since in essence, your tank is isolated from the natural pressures of an ecosystem. So forget that dream! (Unless you have a ton of cash for some kind of automatic system only possible for large public aquariums)

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:22 PM (#23) User is offline   FEEFA 

• Fish Whisperer
  • Group: Members
  • Current Piranhas: NONE!

Great pictures and I really like your tank.
I'm in the process of setting up my own 20gal and I hope it looks that good once established.

Is live rock rubble all you habe in your filter? I was thinking of converting my ac70 to a refuge and running a skimmer. But if the rock works well which it seems to be for you than maybe I'll run it that way.

Any tips or suggestions for a me as a noob?
Posted Image Member of the Month, Oct 2010
Posted Image Member of the Month, July 2009
Posted Image Non-Piranha Picture of the Month, August 2008
Posted Image

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:17 PM (#24) User is offline   Spilo26 

• Captivated

I've heard live rock rubble can trap debris and actually raise nitrates after time. I just used chaeto in my HOB refugium. From my understanding when they say soft corals like dirty water, they are referring to food and nutrient rich water, not high nitrate water. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in lol.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:35 PM (#25) User is offline   Ęgir 

• View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

View PostSpilo26, on 23 May 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

I've heard live rock rubble can trap debris and actually raise nitrates after time. I just used chaeto in my HOB refugium. From my understanding when they say soft corals like dirty water, they are referring to food and nutrient rich water, not high nitrate water. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in lol.

ALL rock can trap debris and eventually become clogged up... after a few years you would be surprised what you can shake out of it.
Posted Image

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:40 PM (#26) User is offline   frantzml1982 

• Infatuated
  • Current Piranhas: 7 x3" caribe

Are you sure that's true blue xenia? Looks like an Anthelia or a clove.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language