10 gallon starter tank - Piranha-Fury Forums

Piranha-Fury Forums: 10 gallon starter tank - Piranha-Fury Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 gallon starter tank lots of corals

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:36 PM (#1) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

Here is my 10 gallon running with a ac30 filter that has been made into a refuge and is ful of live rock.

I have a black and orange ocellaris clown pair (haven't bred) 6 Turbo snails, 5-8 hermit crabs.

I don't know all of the kinds of coral but the ones i do know are

Candy cane
Frog spawn
mushrooms (4-5 different kinds) not sure on names
polyps (3-4 kinds) not sure on names
blue xenia (my christmas present to myself)

Having problems uploading pics........ i think they may be too big to post.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by piranha_guy_dan: 05 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

  • Piranha-Fury.com



Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:03 PM (#2) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:27 AM (#3) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

you got a decent looking lil nano there!!!
loving the shrooms and your frogspawn. i love frospawn. get yourself a brain coral frag too for some variation.
the very first pic. is that the candy cane?

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:44 AM (#4) Guest_ksls_*

  • Group: Guests

Completely new to Saltwater so just wondering the following:

Why no heater?

What temperature are Salties kept at?

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:13 PM (#5) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

Ya trigger thats the candy cane. Brain coral is sweet but is better under halides i heard, same with clams......... I would love both but they also get big and im not ready to upgrade just yet.

KSLS there is a heater that i have hidden laying down behind the rocks hehehe sneeky ;) I keep my tank at about 79-81, the light on the tank may bring it up another degree or so when i have both bulbs turned on.

thanks for the comments guys..... you made it worth all the trouble i went through to upload all my pics onto photobucket in order for them to work on p-fury. :)
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:38 PM (#6) User is offline   Trigga 

  • Wavy
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 25468
  • Joined: 01-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Other Side of the Pillow
  • Interests:Anything but this fuckin place
  • Current Piranhas: Ur moma

One of those looks like a black clown.. Maybe that's why they haven't bred?

Nice tank none the less wish I could run a sw tank

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:48 PM (#7) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

they are the same species just a different morph, it is possible to breed the pair, i just havent had them long enough to pair up i guess you could say. i have only had them for about a month

thanks for the compliments :thumbup:
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:55 PM (#8) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View PostTrigga, on Jan 6 2010, 01:38 PM, said:

One of those looks like a black clown.. Maybe that's why they haven't bred?

Nice tank none the less wish I could run a sw tank


Clownfish species can breed even if one is a different color... the important thing is they are the same species

By mixing different colors (black, naked, misbar) they have created "rare" (also some extremely ugly) clownfish like Picasso, Snowcasso, Platnum, and others... which are several hundred dollars EACH

If you google it, you can see some pictures.


DAN, great looking tank man... are you running skimmers on either of your tanks? Have you thought of plumbing them into one large system to make things more stable, and testing/dosing easier?
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:36 PM (#9) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

I never test my tanks and i have a skimmer on the 50 gallon and nothing on the 10 gallon.

thanks for the compliments Bryce
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:57 PM (#10) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View Postpiranha_guy_dan, on Jan 6 2010, 04:36 PM, said:

I never test my tanks and i have a skimmer on the 50 gallon and nothing on the 10 gallon.

thanks for the compliments Bryce


You never test your tanks? wow... that seems risky

I would hate to see something bad happen (like PH or alk crash) when its easily avoided by simple testing and some 2 part dosing (if water changes arent enough, which as demand increases will happen) I see its mostly softies now, so it wont be a problem... but if you add more stony corals its something you should take up atleast bi-weekly. I even test my water change bin before adding it (calcium, alk, ph) i have read some horrible stories about the CA and ALK of salt mix being so far off, that peoples tanks cant handle it and they get nuked from a "bad batch" of salt (or even salt thats not mixed, or has settled)

Calcium, Alk, PH and several other things are "linked" together, so if one level drops it will be impossible to maintain the others correctly. After i found the online dosing calculator for 2 part, and others (magnesium etc), i found its much easier to test my tank and dose as necessary... dont know if you have seen it but i will PM a link when i find it.

:brow:
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:41 PM (#11) User is offline   Wide_Eyed_Wanderer 

  • piegewscentrusss purrriyaaaawww
  • Group: Troll
  • Posts: 19543
  • Joined: 21-August 06
  • Gender:Male

Sweet tank P guy dan. I had one too but got sick of topping up every 2 days, if I didn't the salinity would swing up a lot. Now that I sold my 10 gallon, I have a 75 gallon freshwater and there isnt a day where I dont think about how amazing the 75 gallon would look as a reef :).

Whats your schedule like for topping up the evap?

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:53 AM (#12) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

You dont test ever?!?!? and you have no filtration of anysort running on your 10g???

How do you manage that?

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:55 AM (#13) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View PostTrigger lover, on Jan 7 2010, 04:53 AM, said:

You dont test ever?!?!? and you have no filtration of anysort running on your 10g???

How do you manage that
?


A powerhead, live rock, weekly water changes would be my guess... even bi-weekly would work
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:24 PM (#14) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

I have a powerhead, i also have live rock in my ac filter instead of media so it is like my own mini hang on refugium. I have glass lids on my 10 gallon and 50 gallon so I don't have to top up that often anymore but I do still add 2 litres to the 10 gallon every 4 days or so.

I also have an aqua c remore skimmer and a ac500 home made refugium on my 50 gallon along with a powerhead. I plan on eventually expanding to one big reef tank and at that time I will build it properly from the ground up.
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:38 PM (#15) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

this was my question i posted up in the SW section egir and we had a whole discussian and we came to the conclusion that getting a skimmer would overall be best. looks like it can be done without one. may have to try and implement this on a new setup. maybe a 50g tank see if i can make it work

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:00 PM (#16) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View PostTrigger lover, on Jan 9 2010, 10:38 AM, said:

this was my question i posted up in the SW section egir and we had a whole discussian and we came to the conclusion that getting a skimmer would overall be best. looks like it can be done without one. may have to try and implement this on a new setup. maybe a 50g tank see if i can make it work


Oh no doubt it can be done.... but like i said after seeing what my skimmer has pulled out i wouldnt go back. If it can make me puke, and is pulling a gallon every 5 days or so... why would i want to leave that in my water column?

Keep in mind we are talking about a 300 gal system, and a 10 or 50 gal system here... its more expensive for me (salt) to compensate with large water changes, where as on a smaller tank it would be more simple and realistic. A 200 gal box of salt mix lasts me about 2 months (20 per week) and would last him far longer, even with 40 or 50% water changes.
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:14 PM (#17) User is offline   CLUSTER ONE 

  • Serrasalmus rhombeus
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 8752
  • Joined: 02-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:-=--=CANADA=--=-
  • Current Piranhas: S. elongatus, S. sanchezi. P. nattereri

View PostĘgir, on Jan 9 2010, 01:00 PM, said:

View PostTrigger lover, on Jan 9 2010, 10:38 AM, said:

this was my question i posted up in the SW section egir and we had a whole discussian and we came to the conclusion that getting a skimmer would overall be best. looks like it can be done without one. may have to try and implement this on a new setup. maybe a 50g tank see if i can make it work


Oh no doubt it can be done.... but like i said after seeing what my skimmer has pulled out i wouldnt go back. If it can make me puke, and is pulling a gallon every 5 days or so... why would i want to leave that in my water column?

Keep in mind we are talking about a 300 gal system, and a 10 or 50 gal system here... its more expensive for me (salt) to compensate with large water changes, where as on a smaller tank it would be more simple and realistic. A 200 gal box of salt mix lasts me about 2 months (20 per week) and would last him far longer, even with 40 or 50% water changes.

i found recently that skimmers arn't really needed on small tanks (unless you want water sensitive corals) , but a hob with some mech would be great. I just use a turkey baster to blow up debris then the overflow (i keep media in my overflow in the back to silence sound and remove debris. I also clean it regularly so it doesn't clog as that would be a disaster and filter floss covers only half so if it gets clogged it can go through the coarse ac 110 pad then to the sump. There are also some gaps at the back so water can go can go just in case) will take it out and i replace the mech media daily (ac 110 pad (half) and filter floss). I replace it with another set then clean it so i don't throw it out. If i were you i would just add a hob so you can remove some detritus before it causes problems. so your water will be much nicer.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-15g Mantis Shrimp reef with 10g sump
-Avicularia versicolor 0.1.0 - Lasiodora parahybana 0.1.0
- Pogona vitticeps 0.1.0

Posted ImageMOTM Febuaray 2010
Posted ImageNPOTM April 2010

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:03 PM (#18) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View Postsean-820, on Jan 9 2010, 11:14 AM, said:

View PostĘgir, on Jan 9 2010, 01:00 PM, said:

View PostTrigger lover, on Jan 9 2010, 10:38 AM, said:

this was my question i posted up in the SW section egir and we had a whole discussian and we came to the conclusion that getting a skimmer would overall be best. looks like it can be done without one. may have to try and implement this on a new setup. maybe a 50g tank see if i can make it work


Oh no doubt it can be done.... but like i said after seeing what my skimmer has pulled out i wouldnt go back. If it can make me puke, and is pulling a gallon every 5 days or so... why would i want to leave that in my water column?

Keep in mind we are talking about a 300 gal system, and a 10 or 50 gal system here... its more expensive for me (salt) to compensate with large water changes, where as on a smaller tank it would be more simple and realistic. A 200 gal box of salt mix lasts me about 2 months (20 per week) and would last him far longer, even with 40 or 50% water changes.

i found recently that skimmers arn't really needed on small tanks (unless you want water sensitive corals) , but a hob with some mech would be great. I just use a turkey baster to blow up debris then the overflow (i keep media in my overflow in the back to silence sound and remove debris. I also clean it regularly so it doesn't clog as that would be a disaster and filter floss covers only half so if it gets clogged it can go through the coarse ac 110 pad then to the sump. There are also some gaps at the back so water can go can go just in case) will take it out and i replace the mech media daily (ac 110 pad (half) and filter floss). I replace it with another set then clean it so i don't throw it out. If i were you i would just add a hob so you can remove some detritus before it causes problems. so your water will be much nicer.


The rule of saltwater is EXPORT, not TRAP debris... You could change your filter floss, or sponge or whatever every day, and have this PITA routine that you are obligated to. Or you could just allow a skimmer to remove the organic compounds and keep waste suspended until it can be removed.

I took EVERY (even the smallest) piece of sponge, filter pad, floss, etc OUT of my system and have seen amazing improvements. I am the type of person that has to try everything myself, and see how it plays out.... I have used filter socks off and on, had a sponge in my sump between baffles, filter pad on the top of the overflow etc... Some of you may even remember the TAS (turf algae scrubber) i built, after reading for weeks about what its "supposed to do" and liking the concept, i built one using spare parts. After letting it run for some time, i quickly discovered the downside (not enough screen, or lighting... not using a turf algae pad to seed the filter) and packed it up. After trying ALL these different things, no pads or floss, skimming heavy and focusing on EXPORT not trapping, my tank is doing the best it ever has... My water has never been so clear

Also understand that each system is unique... things might work great for me, but not so much for other people (and the other way around) so thats why i am a firm believer in trying every option and observing the results... you will quickly see which is superior

I would also like to add that if there was more LPS or SPS, not mostly zoas, mushrooms and softies that skimming, water changes, and possibly dosing become almost mandatory. Really right now there is little calcium uptake, and need for skimming because most softies enjoy "dirty water" (in comparison to SPS)
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:33 PM (#19) User is offline   CLUSTER ONE 

  • Serrasalmus rhombeus
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 8752
  • Joined: 02-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:-=--=CANADA=--=-
  • Current Piranhas: S. elongatus, S. sanchezi. P. nattereri

View PostĘgir, on Jan 9 2010, 02:03 PM, said:

The rule of saltwater is EXPORT, not TRAP debris... You could change your filter floss, or sponge or whatever every day, and have this PITA routine that you are obligated to. Or you could just allow a skimmer to remove the organic compounds and keep waste suspended until it can be removed.


Changing mech media daily does work fine for me, however like you said it could become a pita, but its cheaper then spending 200$ on a skimmer. Its like using filter socks, having one will probably be more of a pita then if you buy 7. If you have multiple you just replace then you can clean multiple at a time rather then having to clean the one right away to replace it. Either way by replacing the mech with clean stuff you initially trap then the debris is exported out of the system. For a large tank a skimmer is a must, but with smaller tank water changes will do. Mech media doesn't create any debris, it just traps it so if its not trapping it (and your only method of exporting waste is water changes and lr) the detritus is just rotting somewhere else so imo its better to catch it for easy removal rather then letting it break down during the week between water changes.

Also, is there actual proof that softies enjoy "dirty" water or is it that they are just more tolerant to it?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-15g Mantis Shrimp reef with 10g sump
-Avicularia versicolor 0.1.0 - Lasiodora parahybana 0.1.0
- Pogona vitticeps 0.1.0

Posted ImageMOTM Febuaray 2010
Posted ImageNPOTM April 2010

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:06 AM (#20) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

this is all interesting info. im liking it. its just that ive always been a fan of trying to run a self sufficient tank with minimal use of skimmer or filter. but it does to prove a difficult task especially in the long term for larger tanks
i am aware that everyone has had different experiences. and what something works for one person may not work aswell for another.
another option is of course coming up with a well desgined sump but oddly enough i would choose a skimmer over sump.
what works well for small tanks doesnt usally wok so well with larger tanks.

more thought needs to be put into this.

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language