My first SW Nano Tank - (The Middle) - Updated 2/3/10 Page 3 - Piranha-Fury Forums - Page 3

Piranha-Fury Forums: My first SW Nano Tank - (The Middle) - Updated 2/3/10 Page 3 - Piranha-Fury Forums

Jump to content

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My first SW Nano Tank - (The Middle) - Updated 2/3/10 Page 3

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:48 PM (#41) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Looks great...

I believe your new addition is pom pom xenia, or a pulsing xenia of some sorts?


Thanks! well it doesn't pulse and I've yet to find a close resembling pic on the web. Let me take a look at the pom poms....

Hey Skunk....right now I have a AC70 HOB filter that is really doing nothing but holding additional water and creating flow. If I had my choice, I would love to ditch it and just add another Koralia nano. What do you think....... Do you think that extra water is doing me any good stability wise?


Figure out how much water its holding, and use your water volume to get a %

I would say its prob doing nothing for stability, but would fill it with rock rubble (3/4" pieces?) to the top and use it as a "mini sump" so its actually doing something and creating flow. You can even make an eggcrate screen to keep the rock from tumbling out.

And then add another Koralia... just for good measure


That was why I had initially bought it. I converted it to a mini fuge but it was loading up with detrius (sp) build up constantly. I was having major problems with my nitrate levels so I just ditched everything in side and kept it empty. Since then I've been fairly stable. The only reason I don't like it at this point is because the flow is a tad too much. Actually its not too much, its just that I can't direct it any place sensible. The water bounces off the front glass and stirs up sand like no other. PITA :)

It's holding about a third of a gallon. I would say the tank holds about 4.75 gallons right now...so.....some math.... .33/4.75 = about 7%
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:30 PM (#42) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Looks great...

I believe your new addition is pom pom xenia, or a pulsing xenia of some sorts?


Thanks! well it doesn't pulse and I've yet to find a close resembling pic on the web. Let me take a look at the pom poms....

Hey Skunk....right now I have a AC70 HOB filter that is really doing nothing but holding additional water and creating flow. If I had my choice, I would love to ditch it and just add another Koralia nano. What do you think....... Do you think that extra water is doing me any good stability wise?


Figure out how much water its holding, and use your water volume to get a %

I would say its prob doing nothing for stability, but would fill it with rock rubble (3/4" pieces?) to the top and use it as a "mini sump" so its actually doing something and creating flow. You can even make an eggcrate screen to keep the rock from tumbling out.

And then add another Koralia... just for good measure


That was why I had initially bought it. I converted it to a mini fuge but it was loading up with detrius (sp) build up constantly. I was having major problems with my nitrate levels so I just ditched everything in side and kept it empty. Since then I've been fairly stable. The only reason I don't like it at this point is because the flow is a tad too much. Actually its not too much, its just that I can't direct it any place sensible. The water bounces off the front glass and stirs up sand like no other. PITA  :laugh:

It's holding about a third of a gallon. I would say the tank holds about 4.75 gallons right now...so.....some math.... .33/4.75 = about 7%


7% isnt a huge amount... but it helps?

Why not buy a HOB fuge, or build one out of acrylic? They are fairly simple and easy to make if you can get the plexi and weld-on to glue it together.

Make it the size of the back of the tank, and like 3" deep or something. It may be cheaper to just setup a sump.

But the bigger, the more stable. My sump is a 125 gal tank, holding about 90 gals of water and my display is 155 gals so thats 58%

A 29 tall or breeder, with a 8 gal (room in a 10 gal) sump is 30% which is a HUGE improvement all around. (thats 7.4 times the water volume.)
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:33 PM (#43) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 08:30 PM, said:

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

View PostSkunkbudfour20, on Dec 1 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Looks great...

I believe your new addition is pom pom xenia, or a pulsing xenia of some sorts?


Thanks! well it doesn't pulse and I've yet to find a close resembling pic on the web. Let me take a look at the pom poms....

Hey Skunk....right now I have a AC70 HOB filter that is really doing nothing but holding additional water and creating flow. If I had my choice, I would love to ditch it and just add another Koralia nano. What do you think....... Do you think that extra water is doing me any good stability wise?


Figure out how much water its holding, and use your water volume to get a %

I would say its prob doing nothing for stability, but would fill it with rock rubble (3/4" pieces?) to the top and use it as a "mini sump" so its actually doing something and creating flow. You can even make an eggcrate screen to keep the rock from tumbling out.

And then add another Koralia... just for good measure


That was why I had initially bought it. I converted it to a mini fuge but it was loading up with detrius (sp) build up constantly. I was having major problems with my nitrate levels so I just ditched everything in side and kept it empty. Since then I've been fairly stable. The only reason I don't like it at this point is because the flow is a tad too much. Actually its not too much, its just that I can't direct it any place sensible. The water bounces off the front glass and stirs up sand like no other. PITA :rockon:

It's holding about a third of a gallon. I would say the tank holds about 4.75 gallons right now...so.....some math.... .33/4.75 = about 7%


7% isnt a huge amount... but it helps?

Why not buy a HOB fuge, or build one out of acrylic? They are fairly simple and easy to make if you can get the plexi and weld-on to glue it together.

Make it the size of the back of the tank, and like 3" deep or something. It may be cheaper to just setup a sump.

But the bigger, the more stable. My sump is a 125 gal tank, holding about 90 gals of water and my display is 155 gals so thats 58%

A 29 tall or breeder, with a 8 gal (room in a 10 gal) sump is 30% which is a HUGE improvement all around. (thats 7.4 times the water volume.)


Funny that you mentioned building a sump. I was actually going to tackle this a while ago but I was just worried about flooding my bedroom, I guess about 10 gallons of water isn't much but its definitely enough to destroy my desktop. I can fit a another 5.5 in the cabinet on my desk....hmmmm

A HOB fuge is another good idea....

I have this feeling that by the time I get this setup the way I want it I'll wind up upgrading. My brother is selling his 39 gallon ......
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:14 AM (#44) User is offline   Ęgir 

  • Senior Member
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 7344
  • Joined: 21-January 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montana

View Postroccov12345, on Dec 1 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

Funny that you mentioned building a sump. I was actually going to tackle this a while ago but I was just worried about flooding my bedroom, I guess about 10 gallons of water isn't much but its definitely enough to destroy my desktop. I can fit a another 5.5 in the cabinet on my desk....hmmmm

A HOB fuge is another good idea....

I have this feeling that by the time I get this setup the way I want it I'll wind up upgrading. My brother is selling his 39 gallon ......


If setup properly the first time, a sump will never flood... in however many years, i have had one flood, and that was due to a 10 yr old U tube on my overflow box cracking and breaking siphon.

I have more problems with my RO/DI system realistically... that being 3 times in 2 years or so.

And i have also learned that with a rubber bottom area rug in the doorway holding back the flood, my fish room holds roughly 40 gallons of water and is about an inch and a half deep at that point.
Posted Image

Quote

His hall is a place of sanctuary lit with bright gold, and where the beer pours itself.

Posted Image

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:14 PM (#45) User is offline   piranha_guy_dan 

  • Frontosa King
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10234
  • Joined: 03-October 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:oshawa ontario
  • Interests:piranha's, my g/f, family,friends,my car,fishing,hockey,toronto maple leafs

make a refuge out of an AC filter just glue the piece of grilled plastic that holds all of the media in place and make it as a screen to keep live rock and macro algae in place. works great on my 65 gallon.
75 18 F1 kitumba zaire frontosa
110 9 Cape nangu frontosa 2 males 7 females
160 12 inch moba male, 5 nangu males, 2 kitumba and 1 burundi (all Frontosa)
Posted Image Posted Image
Canadian Tanganyikan Cichlids


Quote

QUOTE(PinKragon @ Feb 23 2007, 02:52 AM)
To realize the value of having small boobies....ask me

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:56 AM (#46) User is offline   Ja'eh 

  • I got a great view here sitting on my "HIGH HORSE".
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11747
  • Joined: 07-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto (Rexdale)
  • Current Piranhas: 7-8" SERRASALMUS BRANDTII - 6" SERRASALMUS MANUELI

Pretty slick little set ups indeed. :bowdown:
Posted Image Member of the Month, December 2009

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:06 PM (#47) Guest_DannyBoy17_*

  • Group: Guests

Good luck man. It looks great! Be prepared to double or triple your budget!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:31 PM (#48) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostDannyBoy17, on Dec 7 2009, 11:06 PM, said:

Good luck man. It looks great! Be prepared to double or triple your budget!


Tell me about it :bowdown:

Nothing too fancy to update......although I'm in a little bit of a lighting predicament. My fiance got me a metal halide fixture that I've wanted for some time now (wanted to try some SPS corals). Only problem is I don't have any actinic supplementation and the coral corals look a little bleached out. I'm thinking it's either due to the abrupt switch from PC lighting to halide or the lack of actinic lighting. I'm in the middle of building a DIY LED actinic light fixture to add some hue and hopefully bring some color back to the tank. Here's a few pictures from my cam phone. The light looks pretty blue but in reality it's much whiter.

Oh btw it's a 70 watt 20K mh bulb

New Pics of the MH fixture.....
Attached Image: monthly_01_2010/post-34476-1262885385.jpg

Attached Image: 0101002150b.jpg

Attached Image: 0101002150a.jpg

Attached Image: monthly_01_2010/post-34476-1262885437.jpg


With the old Current PC fixture just before switching to Halide....
Attached Image: monthly_01_2010/post-34476-1262885463.jpg

This post has been edited by roccov12345: 07 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:09 AM (#49) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

those lights lookreal bright. its hurting my eyes even through the pics.

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:22 AM (#50) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostTrigger lover, on Jan 10 2010, 09:09 AM, said:

those lights lookreal bright. its hurting my eyes even through the pics.


:rockon: It is pretty bright....
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:21 PM (#51) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

So since my last update I've added moon light supplementation via DIY LEDS. If you're interested in the write up, I put up a thread in the tank and equipment forum.

Pics.....

I love the fluorescence from the new actinics......

Attached Image: 0109000041.jpg

Attached Image: monthly_01_2010/post-34476-1263233957.jpg

Attached Image: 0109001901.jpg

Attached Image: 0109001709.jpg
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:57 PM (#52) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

A few better pics.....

Attached Image: 0112000154.jpg

Attached Image: 0112000152.jpg

Attached Image: 0112000153.jpg

Attached Image: monthly_01_2010/post-34476-1263319025.jpg

Attached Image: 0111002213.jpg
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:28 PM (#53) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

Picked up 3 frags this weekend from a local enthusiast.....

1st is a Duncan....Little bleached moving from t5 to halide

Attached Image: 0116002308a.jpg

Favia clip - My crab was infatuated with this piece for about 2 hours grrrr

Attached Image: 0116002306.jpg

My first SPS without Act., with Act., and only Act.

Attached Image: 0116002307.jpg

Attached Image: 0116002308.jpg

Attached Image: 0117001421.jpg
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:53 PM (#54) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

nice frags :rockon: especially like the duncan

that crab is looking suspicious to me :rockon:

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:45 PM (#55) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostHis Majesty, on Jan 19 2010, 03:53 PM, said:

nice frags :thumbsup: especially like the duncan

that crab is looking suspicious to me :suspect:



I like the duncan too.... He does doesn't he? Looks like he's looking right at me while I was taking the pic. :no:
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:10 PM (#56) User is offline   Wide_Eyed_Wanderer 

  • piegewscentrusss purrriyaaaawww
  • Group: Troll
  • Posts: 19543
  • Joined: 21-August 06
  • Gender:Male

It looks so good man. Are you running out of coral space yet? Maybe a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon upgrade is in order soon?  :laugh:

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:33 AM (#57) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View Postspeakyourmind, on Jan 25 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

It looks so good man. Are you running out of coral space yet? Maybe a 10 gallon or even 20 gallon upgrade is in order soon? :rockon:


I'm just about there........I really want to upgrade soon, just have to convince the wifey... :saint:
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:48 AM (#58) User is offline   Genesis8 

  • Addicted
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 469
  • Joined: 11-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wisconsin
  • Current Piranhas: 3" RRS 5" Black Diamond Rhom

Gorgeous Setup.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:34 AM (#59) User is offline   roccov12345 

  • Obsessed
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 700
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Starboard Side

View PostGenesis8, on Jan 26 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

Gorgeous Setup.


Thanks Gen!

Ok just a few quick pics nothing crazy. Really starting to get tight on space, I've been looking into setting up a 30 gallon breeder as an upgrade. I want a bigger tank but not too big. Maybe a 40 breeder.....who knows.....

What I really should get is a decent camera. My phone doesn't do the corals or tank any justice.....

Button Polyp I picked up from a local reefer along with a free sps frag. I had to move some things around to get them to fit. What a pain.....

The new polyps....In reality they are like a neon green color. Can't figure out why my cam won't pick up the color. Ahh well
Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-34476-1265211141.jpg

Free SPS frag opened up nicely....
Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-34476-1265211159.jpg

And a FTS
Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-34476-1265211177.jpg
Posted Image (P) Picture of the Month, August 2009

Fish make me tired......

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:36 PM (#60) User is offline   His Majesty 

  • United Federation of Awesome
  • Group: Senior Member
  • Posts: 16481
  • Joined: 05-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:screaming through the heavens at 490,000 mph

tank is really filling out real nice. good job :brow:

 CuzIsaidSo, on 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

True...hm's englands version of hugh hefner


"Someone asked me - what's the use of a balloon? I replied - whats the use of a newborn baby" Benjamin Franklin
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Posted Image Member of the Month, June 2009
Posted ImageNPOTM August 2011
Posted Image

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language