Piranhas Forum banner

Mantis, chilln out on a nice friday afternoon...

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Dawgz 
#1 ·
LOL, the way he is situated on the rock is hilarious to me for some reason...

See less See more
#6 ·
Don't worry about it man we all have days (and nights) when we are not in the mooding for anything. I should have maybe been a little more outward that I was being a smartass and maybe posted a emotion to show so. I never take to much to heart and it showed that you have a passion for your animals which is great and wished more people were like that. I will forget about it if you can and we can go on like nothing happened . Life's too short to keep grudges over a misunderstanding and lack of sleep/bad jokes. Anyway like your pics as shrimp have always fascinated me and admit kinda a fear of s/w tanks but if I tried it I figure I would start with shrimp in a nano. Those are some vibrant little buggers and are they the ones that can break the bottom of your tank??? I forget the species name of the type that can do so and that's why I was checking yours out.

#7 ·
sweet looking mantis my friend
love the green colour

#9 ·
No Dawgz I have been just collecting P's like a madman and figure there are some more to come quickly. I am not afraid of the leap into them I am afraid of the pricing. I want to get a little more f/w experience first and then go from there. As well there are no stores around here that sell s/w stock and I'm afraid the closest thing is edmonton which is pretty far to run to for fish and such. I got a buddy that has live rock and that is it. So I want to make sure my P collection is at a full halt before I start to diversify on my types. Hope ya post more pics of him cause he a definite cool looking creature.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
yeh Mantis shrimp are wicked creatures.
their claw can get hit at the same speed and power of a .22 bullet.
crack glass easy if they feel like it. happened to many a people in the past.
and they have one of the most complicated and sohpisticated eyes on the planet.
closest thing we have to an alien.

#13 ·
wicked. I never knew wtf they were. Thanks for the info guys.

#15 ·
plexi glass should work fine
its generally the bigger mantis you have to worry about such as the peacock mantis. if they get aggrivated or go hungry they might decide to break out.
theres a really good video of this guy who setup a small nano SW with a mantis in it. video is of the whole setup and everything with some cool shots of it breaking into a hermit crab shell and getting the crab. ill dig it up and PM it to you.

#19 ·
awesome mantis, I always loved the peacock varients, but solid greenis very cool, and typically a mantis wont strike the ground its burrowing in, the only arms the glass tanks dont like are the striking arms. and redneckronin SW tanks are more of initial setup, but if you plan what you want, what you want to keep, how you will get your water . The tanks that require the absoloute best water is going to be SPS coral tank. but at the same time there are fowlr or mantis shrimp tank. SO at the end of teh day do not be afraid to start s/w tanks. it requires a slight bit more in equipment, and experiance, but its very obtainable. My first tank in saltwater was a 90 reef. I dove right in.. and did my research and had sucess.

#21 ·
awesome mantis, I always loved the peacock varients, but solid greenis very cool, and typically a mantis wont strike the ground its burrowing in, the only arms the glass tanks dont like are the striking arms. and redneckronin SW tanks are more of initial setup, but if you plan what you want, what you want to keep, how you will get your water . The tanks that require the absoloute best water is going to be SPS coral tank. but at the same time there are fowlr or mantis shrimp tank. SO at the end of teh day do not be afraid to start s/w tanks. it requires a slight bit more in equipment, and experiance, but its very obtainable. My first tank in saltwater was a 90 reef. I dove right in.. and did my research and had sucess.
Thx for the encouragement man and the info, i figure I will wait a year until I try cause there is still so much info I have yet to learn on F/w and general marine biology to be satisfied with myself. Cool ass thread dawgz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.